Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2021, 04:01 PM

And if you can find a Parker-Hale 5b rear micrometer sight for it, that Enfield will be a tack-driver!
Old 08-05-2021, 05:58 PM

Well small update. Took the rifle to the range today just to see if the shim helped at all...and the answer is no. Only fired three rounds through it at 50yrds. 1" group that was 4" to the right of the POA. Might be slightly better because the rifle shot 5" to the right before the shim. Anyways I forgot my brass punches so I just set the rifle aside after those three rounds.

Going to double check that the shim is still adequate and the stock pressure is still good at the tip. If that all checks out then I guess I'll just drift the front sight even further. I'd hate to have the front sight pushed way over on a nice rifle like this, but it is what it is.
Old 08-05-2021, 09:16 PM

I missed the part about shooting off center.
A 1" group at 50 yards is pretty adequate for a 1917. (2 MOA for a Milsurp service rifle....) Adjusting stock pressure is to get a consistent group (so shrink a group), it won't generally help move a group left or right.
Consider that you can "assume" it shot straight in it's military career. So something happened. Replacement (barrel, sights, stock) or damage.

The front sight is adjustable for just that purpose, but if you say it's already pretty far over then look for something else.
Most common, in order to check would be:
1. Barrel index (over/under tightened).
2. Bent barrel (good luck seeing this, it's obviously not bent like a pretzel).
3. Buggered up crown
4. Warped stock

A straight edge can help with the barrel, and definitely the stock (take the action out of it, check the channel on both sides).

I'm sure some other suggestions will follow below.

JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread