X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GeoInSD
    • Aug 2013

Barnes Palma & Varget

I took my recently received CMP RM1SPECIAL (.30-06) to the range twice. The first time I used HXP at 100m using a rest but not a vice. My best group 5-shot group was 2.75". The others were roughly that. I was hoping to get better accuracy than that but figured that is ok for non-match ammo and iron sights with my 51 year old eyes. I was disappointed because it didn't group as well as my .308 CMP Special which grouped about 2" with handloads. (I know they were handloads, but still ...)

I took the HXP brass (from the previous session) and loaded it with Barnes Match Burners 155gr Palma, 44.2 gr Varget, CCI200 primer, COL 3.240". The same conditions as the other time but this time I shot 3/4"!!!!! Again, that is a 5-shot group. That is with a flyer. The other 4 shots formed one ragged hole 3/8" wide. I am very impressed with this result.

I was pretty happy with my .308 groups but now I am disappointed now that my .30-06 groups with handload kicked the butt of my .308 Garand's groups (handloads using the same bullet). People keep saying that the .308 is inherently more accurate than the .30-06. Could be but that hasn't been my experience. Perhaps if I can work up a more accurate .308 load that would be true. It could also be the rifle. Both rifles had the same eyes and finger at the trigger. The weather conditions were similar for both. (Light wind, sunny, about 80 degrees F)

The .308 load is: Barnes Match Burners 155gr Palma, 42.4 gr Varget, Winchester primer, COL 2.800".

BTW, I never was comfortable with people stating 3-shot group sizes. I think there is a lot of luck with a good 3-shot group. But a 5-shot group, I think is much harder to get a good group by luck.
    Last edited by GeoInSD; 02-23-2014, 10:55 AM. Reason: add comment
  • rcolarco
    • Oct 2009

The quality of the individual barrels will matter much more than any illusory "inherent accuracy" in one cartridge or another.

Yeah, these Barnes bullets really shoot, don't they?
    NRA-certified rifle (48 years), pistol, home firearms safety, and personal protection instructor
    NRA-certified range safety officer
    North Dakota and Maryland certified hunter safety instructor
    ACEP-certified coach

Comment

• GeoInSD
      • Aug 2013

In my experience, Barnes Match Burners are the equal of Sierra Match Kings. I stock up on them when Cabela's has a sale on them which happens every few months.

Comment

• GGaskill
        Super Moderator
        • Dec 2009

If you are testing the ammo for match use, fire at least a 10 shot group. You don't fire 5 shot matches.
        Only hits count.

"The trouble with most people is that they think with their hopes or fears or wishes rather than with their minds."--Will Durant

Comment

• GeoInSD
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by GGaskill View Post
          If you are testing the ammo for match use, fire at least a 10 shot group. You don't fire 5 shot matches.
          True, but that isn't my point of 3-shot vs. 5 shot groups. My point is that I don't believe the best 3-shot groups are necessarily repeatable. I do think the best 5-shot groups are much more repeatable than the best 3-shot groups. Of course, the best 10-shot groups will be even more repeatable. The more shots that are taken, the lower the lower the probability that a good group was random chance. Also, the more shots the higher probability that other factors will open up the groups like barrel heating, consistency of aim, atmospheric conditions, pulling the shot, etc.

Comment

• Ryan V
            • Jan 2010

To further the thought, statistically speaking, it (marksmanship / your Garand's grouping ability) always goes better on your own private range, than it does at a match. Sixty percent of the time, this rule works every time.

Ryan V

Comment

• GarandGrabber
              • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Ryan V View Post
              To further the thought, statistically speaking, it (marksmanship / your Garand's grouping ability) always goes better on your own private range, than it does at a match. Sixty percent of the time, this rule works every time.

Ryan V
              Thank You Ron Burgundy
              Gary Russell

Northland Sportsmen's Club, 2018 President
              CMP Match Chairman
              NRA Highpower Rifle Chairman
              NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
              Chief Range Officer

Comment

Working...
              X