Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 03:49 PM

Question Which Fulton Receiver?

Fulton offer several choices on receivers. Any thoughts on which is bset?

Brian
Old 02-21-2013, 04:09 PM

Depends on where you are located. NJ you need the M21 marked one.

Just get the stadard M14 marked one if you live in a free state. Skip the lug. Not necessary and only adds weight. Unless you plan to build a NM rifle. Lug extends the bedding life. Nothing more.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:10 PM

What Jason said. I have only delt with 10 of them and all have been fine, no issues at all.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:57 PM

What do you want to do with your rifle?? If you intend to use it for the "new" CMP Modern Military class; you probably don't dare buy a lugged receiver---like the last two I bought........ Good Shooting........
Old 02-21-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
What do you want to do with your rifle?? If you intend to use it for the "new" CMP Modern Military class; you probably don't dare buy a lugged receiver---like the last two I bought........ Good Shooting........
Any interst in swaping? I have a non rear lugged one that I always wished was lugged. PM me if interested.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:37 AM

Sorry Tom--mine are already built as HB competition rifles..and I have one non lugged SA that will probably get a new service contour Criterion if i go the MM route. It currently has a med wt fulton SS barrel and has never shot consistently well. Good Shooting.....
Old 02-22-2013, 10:41 AM

I assume ceresco is being a little sarcastic in his remarks.

So what are the advantages you find with a lugged receiver ceresco???? Curious. I always thought it was dead weight and only kept one from having to skim bed the rifle. Are there other advantages you've noticed????

Thanks. I am going to order a few more Fultons and am wondering if I should get one lugged? I am going to build 14 of them this year and so you got me thinking. You often support your opinion with details so this leads me to thinking you know what you're talking about. Share some of it with us if you care to.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:18 AM

These are the first two I have ever owned. They are in the new heavy stocks (one laminated and one Bishop). I have tested them but not completed the bedding or even installed the rear lug machine screw as yet. The rear lug provides a rather large, second recoil surface (and the screw), which I assume will enhance the stability. There is so much info on M14s, I am not claiming any particular knowledge of same--just working on my own projects. CMP threw in a new twist with the ascendency of the MM match. My only previous interest in the M1A was match shooting so I tricked up my SA years ago and never built another "as issued M1A" for myself. As I indicated, my SA has never met expectations and I decided to go with the HB lugged Fultons to see if I could get a satisfactory match shooter. Very curious as to what rifle will dominate the CMP MM catgory....will depend on the 2013 rules and how they are enforced. Good Shooting.