Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2017, 11:37 AM

Default S.A. national match ?

I want to preface this by saying that I'm a competitive shooter, not a collector or purist. I've been thinking about buying a new SA national match specifically to use in the M1A match at Perry.I have lots of time with M1's but zero experience with the M1A type rifles or SA.I understand that the new rifles don't have GI parts etc.Is there any reason not to go this route?Thanks.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:48 AM

No, there is no reason not to go this route. You might want to looks for the older rifles and look to put a better barrel on it. Jon Wolfe has great barrels as well as Krieger barrels. The SAI match rules only stipulate that you have an SAI rifle if I remember correctly, so switching out the barrel is not an issue.
I have a SAI rifle with a Krieger Stainless Medium match barrel and love it.
One day I will get to Perry but I have to get my girls out of college first...
Good Luck!
SMAWman
Old 06-26-2017, 12:38 PM

Do not be afraid of buying a SAI National Match rifle. I have one and have had absolutely zero problems with it or any other SAI firearm that I own. SAI gives you a lifetime warranty, whether you are the original owner or not. The only catch is that they will "usually" not honor the warranty if unauthorized alterations have been made.

You can call their customer service department if you have any questions. (BTW, I do not work for them.)

HTH.

Last edited by GM1MAN; 06-26-2017 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:21 PM

You should be good to go with a SAI NM.
Enjoy.
Semper Fi
Art
Old 06-26-2017, 01:33 PM

I have several of the standard guns and all have been great.

Also got one NM or Super match, not sure what they called them 22 ish years back.
Only shot it a few times to make sure it would go bang.

The weight is what got me, too heavy for my type shooting. It is rear luged, heavy barrel with NM sights.
not sure what barrel was factory but remember them saying it was a match barrel made for them and they did not make the barrel.
Anyways, great gun and all that I got from them were great.

Going to cut it from the collection soon.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:39 PM
GSM Master Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMAWman View Post
The SAI match rules only stipulate that you have an SAI rifle if I remember correctly, so switching out the barrel is not an issue.
All M14 type rifles (other than SAI) I've been allowed for the past few years at Camp Perry, per Mike at Springfield Armory on vendors row.
Mike B
Old 06-26-2017, 06:05 PM

Good to know Mike! Really looking forward to the day when I can get up there and shoot.
SMAWman
Old 06-27-2017, 07:22 AM
Banned

Smith Enterprise can make you a really nice NM M14, give them a call and speak with Ron or Andy. They built one for me, and I'm currently transitioning it into a Blackfeather chassis - I doubt that's legal for what you have planned though. Good luck!
Old 06-27-2017, 11:11 AM

Thanks for the advice gentlemen.The sad part of this is I'm going to peddle an almost new full blown M1 match rifle to fund the purchase.I had this rifle built with the best of the best about 4yrs ago and never got around to shooting it till last season.In that time my eyes went to hell and I just can't do irons back at 600 anymore.I'm glad service rifle went optics legal or I'd have been done by the end of this season.I tried all the lens inserts etc. and it just doesn't work for me.I can still see well enough for 200yd JCG matches and 300yd like the M1A match.Guess I should be thankful for that.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:16 PM

You build a brand new match M1A for substantially less. I paid 2200 for mine including some tools and materials to do the bedding. I built mine from ground up with Bula parts, but you can get a receiver/bolt/barrel and just put the parts on. If I had the money, I'd buy a Fulton or LRB set up with a Macmillan stock. They take more care in how they match prep their rifles and for 3500+, they at least do everything that that is supposed to be done.

I'm not impressed with the new tricked out Springfields or the expensive barrels. Just not worth it. A guy in my club has a SMITH that cost him 3600. The gas cylinder was only shimmed, the hand guard was not clearanced, the stock was not bedded, no draw pressure..