X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • triggercontrol
    • Nov 2018

Hey Bearpack,

I just received my Colt/Colt today S/N 622651 if my research is correct it looks like it was manufactured in 1919 but I want to verify this with the guru. Also the rebuild marks are A 10 76 and the slide has M-B on the right rear.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Comment

• thebearpack
      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by triggercontrol View Post
      Hey Bearpack,

I just received my Colt/Colt today S/N 622651 if my research is correct it looks like it was manufactured in 1919 but I want to verify this with the guru. Also the rebuild marks are A 10 76 and the slide has M-B on the right rear.

Any information is greatly appreciated.
      It was definitely made in 1919, probably in the 2nd quarter of that year.

As far as where it went, that's a good/bad news sort of thing. Bad news is Colt's records don't list guns between 600,000 & 629,500 so we can't know where it went. Good news is virtually all of them in the SRS records I have available between 617,000 & 627,000 (and beyond) where with the USMC in the '30s.

I haven't been following that closely but wasn't it decided that the A mark denoted a Marine rebuild, or was it only O? And M-B has been discussed in other threads where I floated a half-joking opinion that maybe it stood for "mangnafluxed at Barstow".

Who knows... yours could have spent its whole life with the Marines.

Comment

• triggercontrol
        • Nov 2018

Originally posted by thebearpack View Post
        It was definitely made in 1919, probably in the 2nd quarter of that year.

As far as where it went, that's a good/bad news sort of thing. Bad news is Colt's records don't list guns between 600,000 & 629,500 so we can't know where it went. Good news is virtually all of them in the SRS records I have available between 617,000 & 627,000 (and beyond) where with the USMC in the '30s.

I haven't been following that closely but wasn't it decided that the A mark denoted a Marine rebuild, or was it only O? And M-B has been discussed in other threads where I floated a half-joking opinion that maybe it stood for "mangnafluxed at Barstow".

Who knows... yours could have spent its whole life with the Marines.
        Thanks Bearpack, I have seen the same posts about the single "A" rebuildmark and the M-B mangnaflux at Barstow.

The frame also has relief cuts in the triggerguard, it seems at some point it was converted to a 1911 A1. Was this a common thing?

Comment

• MGMKS
          • Feb 2012

Originally posted by thebearpack View Post
          . . . . I haven't been following that closely but wasn't it decided that the A mark denoted a Marine rebuild, or was it only O? And M-B has been discussed in other threads where I floated a half-joking opinion that maybe it stood for "mangnafluxed at Barstow". . . .
          Thread on the "A-DATE" rebuild marks shown below. About post 189 the consensus emerged that these rebuilds were by the Marines at "Marine Corps Logistic Base Albany". Pistols could be (many were) USMC pistols as well pistols from most other services except the Army.

https://forums.thecmp.org/showthread...237858&page=19

Comment

• R M R
            • Sep 2018

Can you please check Colt 1911 serial number 370982?
            Thanks!!

Comment

• thebearpack
              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by triggercontrol View Post
              The frame also has relief cuts in the triggerguard, it seems at some point it was converted to a 1911 A1. Was this a common thing?
              Yep, pretty common. Interesting part of its history.

Originally posted by R M R View Post
              Can you please check Colt 1911 serial number 370982? Thanks!!
              Shipped July 22, 1918 to Bush Terminal, Brooklyn.

Comment

• R M R
                • Sep 2018

Thanks for the fast reply and info!

Comment

• rwmartin58
                  • Jun 2018

The Bearpack,
                  I picked up my 1911 today, do you have any information on SN: 2127265?
                  IN GOD WE TRUST..........ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• thebearpack
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by rwmartin58 View Post
                    The Bearpack,
                    I picked up my 1911 today, do you have any information on SN: 2127265?
                    Sure. That would be an Ithaca and it shipped on 1/16/45 to Benicia, CA.

Comment

• rwmartin58
                      • Jun 2018

Thank you.

Comment

• rwmartin58
                        • Jun 2018

The Bearpack,
                        What source document do you use to look up this information?

Comment

• thebearpack
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by rwmartin58 View Post
                          The Bearpack,
                          What source document do you use to look up this information?
                          Colt, RR, and USS info comes from Clawson's Colt .45 Service Pistols (the big book). Some SRS info is in Meadows' US Military Automatic Pistols 1894-1920.

Ithaca info comes either from Meadows US Military Automatic Pistols 1920-1945 or from copies of the Ithaca shipping records themselves.

Comment

• rwmartin58
                            • Jun 2018

Thx

Comment

• capn305
                              • Feb 2020

Serial # 2183432

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Photos in the M1911 photo thread.

Comment

• thebearpack
                                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by capn305 View Post
                                Serial # 2183432

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Photos in the M1911 photo thread.
                                It left the Remington Rand factory in March 1945. Looks like it got a Colt replacement slide post WWII.

Comment

Working...
                                X