Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2020, 08:36 PM

Default Ithaca/RR FG

After a two year + wait, my RGN 16,984 finally came up. Skeptical I would see this day I lucked into a good deal 1911 on GB (previously posted). But I kept the faith and became overjoyed when I checked in this summer on RGNs and realized I had a realistic chance to see one this fall. I was offered FG/RG and chose FG. Opened the case to find a pretty pristine Ithaca framed/RR slide 1911a1. If this is a FG, well, giddy up!

I’m guessing it had a interesting history. SN# check traces it to a 31 May 1945 shipment to Army Service Forces @ Columbus Depot. So it missed WWII, but likely saw good use afterwards as it sports two refurbs. The frame shows two overhauls, the first recorded under the SN#, which I and B-i-L interpret as an EP date of “6-68.” See pics and offer your own opinion. The second is an obvious EP of OB-79. Doesn’t looked touched since the Disco era. So it shipped to the Army originally, experienced enough use to do a refurb somewhere in ‘68 (any thoughts by forum fam where?) then ended up in the USMC hands in Barstow for another refurb. That’s a solid 34 years of “active service.”

Came with a new looking replacement barrel marked MA (what manufacturer is this?), mix of Keyes & USGI grips and Mec-Gar mag.

Looks great, typical Cold War light grey re-park. I can only assume it was FG assessed due to some extremely light pitting on slide. Otherwise, if you told me it was an SG, I wouldn’t know. Doesn’t even sport an idiot scratch!

Pic link:
https://imgur.com/a/y62TLnR

Off to the range tomorrow! UPDATE: it’s a very nice shooter. It rattles something fierce, but shoots dead on.

Last edited by ABNredleg; 10-18-2020 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Added pics
Old 10-16-2020, 09:18 PM

Wow that’s a great one. I was hoping for a refurb like that but mine had no refurb marks at all, I was kinda bummed.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:30 PM

Very nice. Looks like the Remington Rand FG I got and yours is a USMC overhaul at Barstow in 79 where mine was also overhauled. I was only offered a FG and I'm very pleased with mine. Enjoy and shoot often.
Old 10-18-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane1 View Post
Wow thatís a great one. I was hoping for a refurb like that but mine had no refurb marks at all, I was kinda bummed.
I missed the OB-79 refurb at first glance at the FFL. It was pretty cool to see it had TWO refurb marks. I haven't seen the EP refurb month-year from the '60's before.

Does that tip off any of the more knowledgeable on here where that may have occurred or indicative of a certain arsenal/depot?

Appreciate any insight.
Old 07-26-2021, 06:20 PM

Now that there are more 1911's out there and the knowledge base builds, bumping this question: mine has two rebuild dates. The OB-79 is obvious and understood. The earlier EP'd date under the serial # is what I have a question on. Any idea if that's indicative of a certain arsenal/depot?

Appreciate any insight!
Old 08-01-2021, 12:46 AM

Could it be EB for Elmer Bjerke? He was responsible for the final inspection of new and overhauled small arms at the Rock Island Arsenal. He served in that capacity until 1958. All small arms inspected under his supervision bear the markings "RIA" for Rock Island Arsenal and "EB" for Elmer Bjerke.
Old 08-01-2021, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnredleg View Post

Came with a new looking replacement barrel marked ma (what manufacturer is this?).
Mec Airtronics

Last edited by DDRode; 08-01-2021 at 06:47 AM.
Old 08-01-2021, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory View Post
Could it be EB for Elmer Bjerke? He was responsible for the final inspection of new and overhauled small arms at the Rock Island Arsenal. He served in that capacity until 1958. All small arms inspected under his supervision bear the markings "RIA" for Rock Island Arsenal and "EB" for Elmer Bjerke.
Mac, appreciate the input, but the EP marking looks like a date (6-68 or 6-69) vs initials. And no "RIA" marking.
Old 08-01-2021, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDRode View Post
Mec Airtronics

Thank you! Very much appreciated