Uncut Operating Rod Question - Use or not (every thread rolled into one)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sirupate
    • Feb 2010

Uncut Operating Rod Question - Use or not (every thread rolled into one)

A uncut oprod came on my recent CMP SA SG rifle. The oprod isn't correct to the receiver, but only off by some months. The oprod is a 6 SA when my 629,XXX receiver probably came with a 3 SA originally. I have read somewhere that these original uncut oprods are better not shot and left instead for the people wanting to assemble correct M1's.

So...would you leave that oprod in on a shooter rifle? I can't imagine abusing the rifle with my handloads...they'd be pretty mild. I suppose an adjustable gas cylinder lock could help too...in preventing possible damage. I suppose I could also get a later oprod and just hold the WWII version back to protect it. Opinions? Thanks,

Jeff
  • tacobuilder
    • Feb 2010

op rod uncut

FWIW, I would not shoot an uncut rod, kinda hard to replace. The reason for the relief cut was to reduce the possibility of the rod cracking at the joint, hence the modification.

Put it away and be thankful you have one for later use.

Regards

Cliff
    USMC RVN 65-66, Semper Fi

Comment

• canes7
      • Oct 2009

You wont hurt it by shooting it.

If it's of concern to you, then trade it to a collector.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Dan W.
      CMP GSM Master Instructor
      CMP HP Master
      DR#2474 (2019) 1/2 with irons, 1/2 with optics

Comment

• DDRode
        • Oct 2009

UNCUT OPRODs were used on M1 Garands from 1936 throughout WWII...and were replaced or modified during the REBUILDING program in the late forties thru the mid fifties...and yet there were many rifles that escaped without their OPRODs being replaced or modified...and continued to be used in service throughout the fifties, sixties, and seventies!!!

SO...will the OPROD fracture if you use it???

Don't know...can't tell!!!

I've got UNCUT OPRODS on two of my Garands and that's where they're gonna stay!!!

And those rifles are shot periodically...BUT not on a DAILY, INTENSIVE, or SUSTAINED basis!!!

IMHO...there is NO PROBLEM!!!

Last edited by DDRode; 02-28-2010, 01:00 PM.
        Dion D. Rode
        AK2 US Navy / SFC (13F4H) US Army (RET)

In Memoriam:

MSGT Ovlee Robertson (1919-2000)
        US Army (1941-1954) MOS 01745 (Light Weapons Infantry Leader)
        WWII: 142nd Inf Regt - 36th "Texas" Inf Div - Salerno, Monte Cassino, Anzio, Invasion Of Southern France, & The Rhineland
        Korea: 23rd Inf Regt - 2nd "Warriors" Inf Div - Twin Tunnels, Chipyong-Ni, & No Name Line

Comment

• Prince Humperdink
          • Oct 2009

I have one with an un-cut -9 flat,I shoot it without worry,just not EVERY day.

Comment

• bob moore
            • Oct 2009

Had something to do with grenade launching?

Comment

• Prince Humperdink
              • Oct 2009

Originally posted by bob moore View Post
              Had something to do with grenade launching?
              No,that is a Myth.Launcher holds open poppet in lock releasing pressure,won't even fully cycle bolt.The cut relieved pressure of angle which is prone to cracking.

http://www.billricca.com/myths.htm
              Last edited by Prince Humperdink; 02-28-2010, 10:40 AM.

Comment

• cfullgraf
                • Dec 2009

The 90 degree angle of the uncut op rod is a point of stress concentration due to the sharp angle. The relief cut eliminates the sharp angle and the stress concentration point.

You could get the joint magnetic particle or dye penetrant checked to see if it has started to crack. But since there is not much material in the op rod at that point, I suspect that once it starts to crack, it may not take too many more rounds before the op rod fails completely.

To be on the safe side, physically and financially, I would put the uncut op rod aside for a restoration project that wasn't going to be shot, or to return to your rifle when you decide to retire it from "active" duty.
                Chuck

Comment

• WIN 342
                  • Oct 2009

Im with the "Dont shoot" crowd. I had one in my CMP service grade last year. I was able to trade it to a collector for some WRA Parts for my "Woodless" project.

Comment

• ANDYZ28
                    • Oct 2009

I was shooting my -9 uncut oprod quite happily, and blissfully ignorant of the whole cut/uncut "thing". A coulple of years ago I was having my rifle checked at the CMP van at Perry and a person I do not know gave me a (yes as in free)65 series oprod, if I would take the uncut oprod off and put it away for history.

The theory being that they don't make them anymore, and someday none of us will be around and many of these beautiful rifles will be in the hands of other enthsiasts, some of whom "might" say "what was that guy thinking?"

Just a thought

Remember that years ago that captain crunch consumed 1.5 million at Anniston. That is a lot of our history gone forever.

Anyway..........I do not use it anymore, but that's just me.
                    http://andyz28.com/supportm1forvets.html

Comment

• sonof15af5bw
                      • Dec 2009

Pix to compare ???

Hey Gents,

Can someone post a couple of pix of 1 un-cut oprod and 1 cut oprod so ignorant fellows such as myself can learn from your wisdom?

Eager M1 New-B
                      Only the land of the BRAVE will save the home of the FREE.

Comment

• warbabys54
                        • Oct 2009

Remember, once an original WWII op rod is cut you can't put metal back ! That uncut op rod is truly a piece of history..I have many Garands with them..And they don't get shot..I have many M1s with cut op rods for taking to the range and having fun....... Remember also that the uncut op rods on the M1 Garands won WWII for us..................

Comment

• Prince Humperdink
                          • Oct 2009

Originally posted by sonof15af5bw View Post
                          Hey Gents,

Can someone post a couple of pix of 1 un-cut oprod and 1 cut oprod so ignorant fellows such as myself can learn from your wisdom?

Eager M1 New-B
                          http://www.scott-duff.com/oprods.htm

Comment

• ANDYZ28
                            • Oct 2009

Originally posted by warbabys54 View Post
                            Remember, once an original WWII op rod is cut you can't put metal back ! That uncut op rod is truly a piece of history..I have many Garands with them..And they don't get shot..I have many M1s with cut op rods for taking to the range and having fun....... Remember also that the uncut op rods on the M1 Garands won WWII for us..................
                            I take my hat off to you sir!
                            http://andyz28.com/supportm1forvets.html

Comment

• Ericc
                              • Oct 2009

Originally posted by sirupate View Post
                              A uncut oprod came on my recent CMP SA SG rifle. The oprod isn't correct to the receiver, but only off by some months. The oprod is a 6 SA when my 629,XXX receiver probably came with a 3 SA originally. I have read somewhere that these original uncut oprods are better not shot and left instead for the people wanting to assemble correct M1's.

So...would you leave that oprod in on a shooter rifle? I can't imagine abusing the rifle with my handloads...they'd be pretty mild. I suppose an adjustable gas cylinder lock could help too...in preventing possible damage. I suppose I could also get a later oprod and just hold the WWII version back to protect it. Opinions? Thanks,

Jeff
                              I shoot an uncut on my match prepared M1. I don't use an adjustable plug on that rifle and I tend to shoot ammo that is outside of the accepted "M1 safe" zone.

Eric

Comment

Working...
                              X