Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2021, 07:46 PM

Default An interesting version of the M1 Jeep Scabbard

Saw this on Ebay (not mine). It appears to be a M1903 scabbard that was converted to a M1 Scabbard, but there some oddities about it. It is marked twice, as if went through a rebuild process and then remarked. The cut of the leather looks more like a M1 Scabbard than a M1903.

One strap is not original and it is missing the brass clips. The tooling that the seller refers too looks like worm damage to the finish or possibly water damage.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Interesting...e4d6%7Ciid%3A1
Old 01-05-2021, 10:29 PM

I for one really like this . Bob
Old 01-06-2021, 03:08 PM

Something is not right. There are brass rivets and washers for the strap guides and steel rivets for the bolt guide. The straps are different. The stitching looks too good for the age.
Old 01-07-2021, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1 View Post
Something is not right. There are brass rivets and washers for the strap guides and steel rivets for the bolt guide. The straps are different. The stitching looks too good for the age.
I don't know enough to say it is right or wrong.

The bolt guide looks better than the ones you normally see with the India/Chinese knockoffs and the rivets match the guide, which you would expect if the scabbard went through some sort of rebuild process. The stitching looks intact, but it doesn't look new to me.

If it is a fake, it is an odd one.
Old 01-07-2021, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdomingue View Post
The bolt guide looks better than the ones you normally see with the India/Chinese knockoffs and the rivets match the guide, which you would expect if the scabbard went through some sort of rebuild process. The stitching looks intact, but it doesn't look new to me.
If it is a fake, it is an odd one.
I kinda/sorta think this may have been a "field expedient" modification made to an original WWI item. With web gear, these are called "rigger made". This is what happens at the sharp end of the stick, far away from an official depot.
Old 01-07-2021, 04:58 PM

Default Jmho

rivet attachments look way too good to be field expedient application -
Old 01-07-2021, 05:32 PM

Default Hmmmm

IMHO for that price it was worth it.........esp if ya would like to have one for the 4 wheeler, tractor et al...........again, JMHO
Old 01-07-2021, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVN 69-70 View Post
IMHO for that price it was worth it.........esp if ya would like to have one for the 4 wheeler, tractor et al...........again, JMHO
The price was ridiculously low. I was tempted to buy it before posting it here, but I already own two, plus one for the M1903. Still want one for the M1 Carbine, but haven't found one in my price range.
Old 01-13-2021, 09:11 AM

The date of "1918" on the scabbard clearly indicates that this item began life in World War I as a rifle scabbard meant to be horse mounted, along with the McClellan saddle and other tack of that vintage. At that time, the 1903 Springfield rifle was the standard service issue weapon.

It was obviously converted for the M1 Garand at some point, but whether it was meant for mounting in a Jeep or other vehicle is speculation. There was a Philippine Cavalry unit which was horse mounted and armed with the M1 Garand which made the last US Cavalry charge in battle in December 1941.

Re-purposing available military issue items is a long time practice. I have a photo taken in 1918 of my Grandfather sitting in a World War I truck, and attached to the side is a leather 1885 three strap saddle bag which was probably holding tools for the truck.