Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2021, 03:15 PM

Default First M1 Garand

Well I don't have it yet but it's coming! My card was charged for my SG back on Thursday and it should be on its way soon. During the last four months or so I've been doing my research and acquiring some necessary items. Thus far I have...

10 en bloc clips
1 oz. tube of Lucas Oil Extreme Duty gun grease
1 WW2 vintage Lubriplate grease pot
200 rounds PPU 30-06 150 gr SP (would prefer FMJ but take what you can get)
100 rounds Creedmoor 30-06 from CMP (likely won't arrive until October)
1 Garand Gear ported gas plug

Two questions... First off, is that ammo with the GG gas plug safe? (I've seen some discussions of what ammo is safe for M1s get a bit, ahem, heated so let's not let that happen again and have the mods lock this thread). I did some digging and the muzzle velocity is listed at around 2900 fps for what that's worth. I've looked around Gunbroker and elsewhere for surplus M2 ball but find it prohibitively expensive. I've also been perusing the marketplace here but the idea of sending $300+ to an Internet stranger and hoping they send me the ammo makes me VERY uncomfortable.

Second... Is there anything else you can think of that would be handy or nice to have for the M1? I'll probably get a sling at some point but is there anything else?
Old 07-16-2021, 03:32 PM

Millions of Garands have shot gazillopns of rounds without a fancy gas plug. If you follow CMP's suggestions on ammo (or buy M2/equivalent) you are good to go, I have never owned a plug. Trade the plug for a sling or 2 or 3 rounds of 30.06! I'd shoot that ammo with no concerns.

I assume you have normal cleaning equipment such as a rod, oil, and brush. Until you received it the rifle was cleaned with a USGI rod form the bore. Personally I use a bore protector, but it's made it this long without it.
You can go crazy looking for the "best" gizmos, greases and oils but remember it was made to function with crisco and mud.
If your enblocs are new then get some fake scotchbrite from dollar tree and smooth them and protect with oil.
A USGI cleaning kit is good to keep in the stock, adds some weight but more importantly allows you to perform any needed service at the range (tighten the sights, clear a stuck case....).

Pics or it didn't happen
JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread

Last edited by ZvenoMan; 07-16-2021 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-16-2021, 03:33 PM

A chamber brush for an M1, a nice one-piece cleaning rod, muzzle guide for an M1 for your cleaning rod, and a cleaning stand. I like to wrap my cleaning patches around a .30 cal brush whereas other folks like patch holders.

I personally think you’re good with your original gas plug with the ammo you have, but if you’re worried about it you can always try your ported gas plug and see if it cycles ok.

Oh yeah, and a sling. Web slings are all you need but a 1907-style from a place like Turner is pretty nice. I have a Brownell’s competition 1907-style that’s pretty nice as well.

Last edited by martindc1; 07-16-2021 at 03:38 PM.
Old 07-16-2021, 04:37 PM

Ron Brown slings are Impressively well done!! As for sending 300 to a seller here, If you look at their postings and seller/buyer feedback you can pretty much weed out the bad ones to deal with.
I have NEVER been taken here! I have been here awhile! LOL.
Old 07-16-2021, 04:54 PM

If you buy a web sling make sure itís cotton if you are going to shoot with it. I think later ones were nylon. They stretch.
Old 07-16-2021, 05:05 PM

You need a copy of FM 23-5, 30 July 1943 and TM 9-1275, June 1947 . Lots of good reading.
Old 07-16-2021, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1563621 View Post
Ron Brown slings are Impressively well done!! As for sending 300 to a seller here, If you look at their postings and seller/buyer feedback you can pretty much weed out the bad ones to deal with.
I have NEVER been taken here! I have been here awhile! LOL.
This. A can or crate of HXP would be real nice for you to have.
Old 07-16-2021, 05:38 PM

Web sling, Post WWII Cleaning kit, Reprint of the Army field manual FM-23-5. Maybe a M5A1 bayonet.
Old 07-16-2021, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthony View Post
Second... Is there anything else you can think of that would be handy or nice to have for the M1? I'll probably get a sling at some point but is there anything else?
Well, that can be a deep subject. Here is a list of things that I got for my Garand.

1) an M3 tool. This tool has a device to use insert a patch to wipe out the chamber.
2) an M3a1 too. This tool has a chamber brush that is handy to use. Do not try to use it while the op rod spring is assembled because the tool can push the follower enough to release the bolt. It also has a bolt reassembly tool which, I find, is a little easer to use than the M10 tool.
3) The Korean war vintage cleaning kit, it stores in the stock. It has a break down rod, M10 tool/handle, oiler/storage case and rod bag.
4) A full length clean rod. (CMP sells them)
5) 25 enblock clips. This is enough for the 200 round packages CMP sells.

Complete the "package" items.
1) a sling. I prefer a leather one of a cotton one. There are many good quality repro slings out there. I recommend these if you intend to use the sling. Original slings (especially leather) tend to be fragile.
2) Bayonet and scabbard.
3) Grenade launcher, grenade sight and dummy grenade.
4) Repro ammo belt to carry clips to the range.
Old 07-16-2021, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martindc1 View Post
A chamber brush for an M1, a nice one-piece cleaning rod, muzzle guide for an M1 for your cleaning rod, and a cleaning stand. I like to wrap my cleaning patches around a .30 cal brush whereas other folks like patch holders.

I personally think youíre good with your original gas plug with the ammo you have, but if youíre worried about it you can always try your ported gas plug and see if it cycles ok.

Oh yeah, and a sling. Web slings are all you need but a 1907-style from a place like Turner is pretty nice. I have a Brownellís competition 1907-style thatís pretty nice as well.
Thanks for the suggestions! I already have .30 cal boresnake. Would that get it done or should I invest in a cleaning rod? I also looked and found out that CMP sells cotton M1 slings for $11.45 Might be time for another e-store order!