Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2010, 02:58 PM

Default Another "rusty" Kimber report

I ordered a "rusty" a couple months ago and my son has been after it ever since. He's only 4, but he loves to site and shoot 25 yard targets with my Kimber, so I ordered one for him last month. Just received yesterday and it was a winner. Very light rust spiderwebs on underside of bolt and some orange dots of something all over the rear site. Wiped off with some CLP. Looked like orange chalk, not rust. Best part was the bag only had a 4" cut in it, otherwise unopened. No scratch on the stock. THank you CMP, you made my little boy's b-day. We are going out this weekend to break it in.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:02 PM

Just a reminder, been said before but worth repeating. Take the bolt apart!!! Mine looked good, hesitated disassembling it, but rememberd the post here and sure enough, some decent rust in the bolt that needed to be cleaned out. Ike
Old 04-30-2010, 06:15 PM

Buy him a Lifetime membership in the NRA while you are at it!
Old 04-30-2010, 06:35 PM

I got my rusty Kimber yesterday as well. The stock had a 5 inch slice in it on the right butt area that wasn't too bad except it continued across the rear of the receiver to the front of the receiver and scratched a good gouge in the metal. The bolt was frozen solid but only took about an hour to free up and get the spring out. The worst part was the last inch and a half of the stock fore end was warped pretty badly and was really pushing against the barrel. Even with the barrel and action removed it was easy to sight down the stock and see the warp. Hopefully a dowel and carefull sanding should help. They are pretty rifles. Homer
Old 04-30-2010, 07:17 PM

Default Make a call

I would contact CMP and let them know the condition of your rifle. They may well offer to switch it out. Ive never heard of one scratched that bad or with a badly warped stock. They have a history of taking care of things like that...
Old 04-30-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorswhisper View Post
I would contact CMP and let them know the condition of your rifle. They may well offer to switch it out. Ive never heard of one scratched that bad or with a badly warped stock. They have a history of taking care of things like that...

No, Rusty Kimbers are sold as is. Thats why the price is discounted
Old 04-30-2010, 07:46 PM

I knew the mission was dangerous when I took it.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:59 PM

My rusty Kimber has 2 deep razor cuts in the stock. Nothing on the metal and the stock is OK, other then the 2 cuts. I have no idea how to cover up the razor cuts. Wood putty? No idea.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:08 PM

On my other one, I just used a little light buff with 0000 steel wool and oil. filled it in pretty good and you cant really see it unless you look hard.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:52 PM

these are single shot meaning reloaded after every shot correct?
Founding Member M1CC #162
http://www.m1collectorsclub.com
Will not do business with 1563621.