Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2021, 08:17 AM

Default Wooden Enbloc for training!

I was following a link to 2/5rd enblocs and found this as a related item that I hadnít seen before.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1007341123

The only review sounds like these are well used but does anybody have an opinion on using one of these?

I have a drill rifle with itís plugged barrel I use to introduce gun safety to Scouts and something like this might be a handy way to demonstrate how a Garand was loaded without using even dummy ammo.

I need to look and see if there was anything else I have put off ordering and add one just to try it. If I works I can carve my own if what arrives is chewed up.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:20 AM

I donít have my reference library with me but they are pictured in the 1950ís Fm. They fit inside the normal enbloc. I have one somewhere in my collection that I got in a box of enblocs I bought from an old collector. I tried it and it worked. Iím sure you could make one easily.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:01 AM

Default Wooden Block

I was given one of these years ago...don't recall where it came from.

Mine fits tight in the clip and locks into the action just like a full clip. It allows you to cycle the action without it locking back. Great for loading/unloading and dry fire training.

To remove is the same as removing a partially loaded clip of ammo...hold the oprod to the rear and press the clip ejection lever...
Old 03-01-2021, 11:15 AM

Any photos?

It might be a good training tool when working with Veteran Organization Honor Firing Squads.
Old 03-01-2021, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccmp View Post
I donít have my reference library with me but they are pictured in the 1950ís Fm. They fit inside the normal enbloc. I have one somewhere in my collection that I got in a box of enblocs I bought from an old collector. I tried it and it worked. Iím sure you could make one easily.
Thank you, that makes more sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyrifleman View Post
Any photos?

It might be a good training tool when working with Veteran Organization Honor Firing Squads.
I went ahead and ordered one. Iíll get good photos and make up a drawing with dimensions etc.

Thanks for the info on the Greek metal version too. For my purpose nothing to encourage stopping a dummy round into a plugged barreled action is likely smarter.
Old 03-01-2021, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Any photos?

If I can find it I have one that is just like brand new. I'll post pics later this evening. If you want to make one let me know and I'll be glad to send you some exact size tracings.
Old 03-01-2021, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronwall View Post
If I can find it I have one that is just like brand new. I'll post pics later this evening. If you want to make one let me know and I'll be glad to send you some exact size tracings.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Thank you for the photos. Such a wood block could easily be made using a drill press and power saw. Dimensions would be great if you have the time.

It looks like a pretty simple solution to the old M1 thumb problem, and could be of use to Veteran groups.

There just have not been many firing squad honor guards in recent times, and it is sometimes difficult to even find one for a funeral or memorial ceremony. The M1 Garand is a great rifle, but it is certainly more complicated than the old 1903 or 1917 bolt action rifles that the VFW and American Legion used back in the day.

Another device which I have often suggested that would make the work of an Honor Guard easier and much safer would be to come up with an ENBLOC clip which holds only three rounds. I know that they make them for 2 rounds for match shooters and for 5 rounds for hunters, but for some strange reason the idea of a three round clip is just not done.

A three round clip would allow pre loading of three blank rounds and transportation of them separate from the rifles themselves. Easier loading when on line, and positive knowledge of an empty, safe rifle at the end of the third volley, as the rifle is brought to "Present Arms". I believe that such a clip would go a long way in reducing mishaps.

Last edited by navyrifleman; 03-02-2021 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:11 AM

A three round Enbloc could be made like Eddie showed here.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=259737

You would just need to figure out the measurement to allow one more round in the limited space.

I agree, making these wooden blocs should be simple but Ronwell, if you can measure the width that spreads the Enbloc that is likely the only critical dimension.

Might be a good use for those JMO 71 and later clips that have the wider extractor groove ridge as found in some 1971 and most 1973 and later HXP ammo?
Old 03-02-2021, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the photos. Such a wood block could easily be made using a drill press and power saw. Dimensions would be great if you have the time.

It looks like a pretty simple solution to the old M1 thumb problem, and could be of use to Veteran groups.

There just have not been many firing squad honor guards in recent times, and it is sometimes difficult to even find one for a funeral or memorial ceremony. The M1 Garand is a great rifle, but it is certainly more complicated than the old 1903 or 1917 bolt action rifles that the VFW and American Legion used back in the day.

Another device which I have often suggested that would make the work of an Honor Guard easier and much safer would be to come up with an ENBLOC clip which holds only three rounds. I know that they make them for 2 rounds for match shooters and for 5 rounds for hunters, but for some strange reason the idea of a three round clip is just not done.

A three round clip would allow pre loading of three blank rounds and transportation of them separate from the rifles themselves. Easier loading when on line, and positive knowledge of an empty, safe rifle at the end of the third volley, as the rifle is brought to "Present Arms". I believe that such a clip would go a long way in reducing mishaps.
Quote:
I'll measure the dimensions and post them in this thread.
Please excuse the lack of neatness.