Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2021, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronwall View Post
Thank you for the photos. Such a wood block could easily be made using a drill press and power saw. Dimensions would be great if you have the time.

It looks like a pretty simple solution to the old M1 thumb problem, and could be of use to Veteran groups.

There just have not been many firing squad honor guards in recent times, and it is sometimes difficult to even find one for a funeral or memorial ceremony. The M1 Garand is a great rifle, but it is certainly more complicated than the old 1903 or 1917 bolt action rifles that the VFW and American Legion used back in the day.

Another device which I have often suggested that would make the work of an Honor Guard easier and much safer would be to come up with an ENBLOC clip which holds only three rounds. I know that they make them for 2 rounds for match shooters and for 5 rounds for hunters, but for some strange reason the idea of a three round clip is just not done.

A three round clip would allow pre loading of three blank rounds and transportation of them separate from the rifles themselves. Easier loading when on line, and positive knowledge of an empty, safe rifle at the end of the third volley, as the rifle is brought to "Present Arms". I believe that such a clip would go a long way in reducing mishaps.

Last edited by navyrifleman; 03-02-2021 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:11 AM

A three round Enbloc could be made like Eddie showed here.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=259737

You would just need to figure out the measurement to allow one more round in the limited space.

I agree, making these wooden blocs should be simple but Ronwell, if you can measure the width that spreads the Enbloc that is likely the only critical dimension.

Might be a good use for those JMO 71 and later clips that have the wider extractor groove ridge as found in some 1971 and most 1973 and later HXP ammo?
Old 03-02-2021, 10:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

These were once sold by M1 Buddy and were included when you bought one of their cleaning ports. In the link you can see it and US marked. I no longer see that they are sold individually or packed with the M1 Buddy.
http://www.m1buddy.com/store3/produc...roducts_id/183

I have one of these and it measures 3/4" width-wise and an 1 1/8th tall.....FWIW

Last edited by Shomway; 03-02-2021 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:41 AM

Eddie's approach to the problem by drilling and installing nuts, bolts, and washers is an interesting one.

The reduced load clips I had seen in the past involved metal removed from the side of the clip and then bent inward - or newly manufactured ones in that style.
Old 03-02-2021, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyrifleman View Post
Thank you for the photos. Such a wood block could easily be made using a drill press and power saw. Dimensions would be great if you have the time.

It looks like a pretty simple solution to the old M1 thumb problem, and could be of use to Veteran groups.

There just have not been many firing squad honor guards in recent times, and it is sometimes difficult to even find one for a funeral or memorial ceremony. The M1 Garand is a great rifle, but it is certainly more complicated than the old 1903 or 1917 bolt action rifles that the VFW and American Legion used back in the day.

Another device which I have often suggested that would make the work of an Honor Guard easier and much safer would be to come up with an ENBLOC clip which holds only three rounds. I know that they make them for 2 rounds for match shooters and for 5 rounds for hunters, but for some strange reason the idea of a three round clip is just not done.

A three round clip would allow pre loading of three blank rounds and transportation of them separate from the rifles themselves. Easier loading when on line, and positive knowledge of an empty, safe rifle at the end of the third volley, as the rifle is brought to "Present Arms". I believe that such a clip would go a long way in reducing mishaps.
Quote:
I'll measure the dimensions and post them in this thread.
Please excuse the lack of neatness.

Old 03-02-2021, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Please excuse the lack of neatness.

Thanks! I will try to replicate your drawings on wood.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:09 AM

The best way to replicate such a piece, would be to drill holes with a drill press at the proper spacing into the edge of a wooden board of the correct width/breadth dimension, and then cut the board through the holes with a saw so that your final length dimension is achieved.

Any idea of what type of wood was used?
Old 03-03-2021, 08:15 AM

The old one I have appears to be pine, but I suspect any wood like pine, spruce, or white cedar would work well.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:02 AM

Default Agree

Quote:

A 3rd round enbloc would be great. We conduct around 7-8 funerals per week at the Fargo National cemetery, our guys have gotten proficient using the winter trigger. And all rifles are pre loaded so they only have to shoot. Simply put nobody we have used an M-1 in their military career. Except our 80 year old sgt at arms.
Old 03-03-2021, 01:54 PM

Quote:

Could you load a regular eight rd enbloc with five inert dummy rounds and top it off with three blanks? It's also possible to load the blanks in a regular empty enbloc after it's inserted in the rifle

Last edited by Ronwall; 03-03-2021 at 01:56 PM.