Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2021, 07:56 AM

You are correct, carbine prices have jumped. Last week Midway changed carbine values and this week they are back at it.

I'd wager carbine values are in a state of flux right now and when dust settles any carbine in decent condition hover about 1500 dollars.

I have a few M1A1 carbines, been chasing them over 60 years. My advice to anyone wanting a carbine is to stay clear of M1A1 as its too easy to get "skunked" and lose their shirt. If you simply have to have one, do your homework and anything you see on a M1A1 carbine that looks suspect...WALK. !
Old 06-14-2021, 10:47 AM

I have a question on M1A1's - if they come in for rebuild, I would think they'd keep all together, but if it comes in with a large batch, couldn't an Inland be swapped for another manufacturer at that time?
I realize that only Inland made M1a1's, but i would think an armorer would figure an M1 carbine was an M1 carbine, whether the stock was swapped?
I guess this would depend on the rules in play of rebuild?
Old 06-14-2021, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weimar_police View Post
I have a question on M1A1's - if they come in for rebuild, I would think they'd keep all together, but if it comes in with a large batch, couldn't an Inland be swapped for another manufacturer at that time?
I realize that only Inland made M1a1's, but i would think an armorer would figure an M1 carbine was an M1 carbine, whether the stock was swapped?
I guess this would depend on the rules in play of rebuild?
At rebuild, parts needing replacement were installed, this included barreled actions. THus any post WWII M1A1 carbine with rebuild markings on it could have a mixture of parts.

Parts Is Parts to the military. Not being collectors, the military rebuilds M1 Carbines and whatever parts at hand are used for that purpose. No..no effort to put Inland parts on a Inland carbine and if a M1A1 was on the armorers table at Augusta Arsenal, he made no effort to keep that stock and barreled action together for "originality". Nope...he'd examine the stock and if that is serviceable, and the original barreled action had issues , he'd reach in the bin and pull a serviceable Rockola barreled action (or any other mfg) and stuff it into that M1A1 stock. The original Inland barreled action would be sent down the line to be repaired and put back into the supply inventory to use again.
If a M1A1 folding stock was serviceable and the original wood damaged, there were Springfield Armory mfg replacement M1A1 stock units that were used with the salvaged M1A1 folding stock unit to build out a serviceable M1A1 carbine ...and that barreled receiver could have been a Underwood stuffed into that rebuilt stock.

and sometimes that armorer would not cut the M1A1 stock to convert from High Wood to low wood. Forget to do it , time to head home for the day , behind schedule ....or just take a short cut. I have a M1A1 stock unit that has Augusta Arsenal rebuild marks on it and is still a high wood stock. I have other AA rebuild stocks and they've all been made to low wood.

Parts is Parts to the military. Same thing happened on 1911 pistols and this has CMP 1911 buyers tied up in knots as they all think their pistol from CMP is going to be "as it left the factory " in 1942 or 1915 or etc . Some of those buyers really have their noses bent ...the military used Israeli slides on some 1911 rebuilds. Oh...........end of the world .

Last edited by milprileb; 06-14-2021 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-14-2021, 11:19 AM

Default M1 Paratrooper Carbine Advice Wanted

As for the M1A1 stock "When the stock for the M1A1 carbine is irreparable or unavailable, it is to be replaced by the standard type stock assembly for the carbine M1" per TM9-1276, paragraph 66. Repair and Rebuild (Field and Depot Maintenance)
Old 06-14-2021, 11:25 AM

PS: I have two stocks that are Springfield M1A1 replacement wood stock units and used M1A1 metal folding stocks. Done at the arsenal or done by former owners. Well...hard to say but all legit US military M1A1 parts but in the two examples that I have , I brought them back from over seas so its anyone's guess who pieced the parts together. I also have a mint condition SA M1A1 wood stock I personally cut the white bag and removed it from original wrapper, found a M1A1 folding stock and pieced it back together , stuffed a Inland correct serial # barreled action into the stock unit and its my shooter M1A1. Inland correct serial # range for M1A1 carbines is ...a wide span . That shooter is right but not correct for WWII and its not a post war rebuild but it is a pile of correct parts.
Toss that out on gun show table and most would guess the arsenal put it together.

Lots of guesses when M1A1 carbines come up for examination.
Old 06-14-2021, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
PS: I have two stocks that are Springfield M1A1 replacement wood stock units and used M1A1 metal folding stocks. Done at the arsenal or done by former owners. Well...hard to say but all legit US military M1A1 parts but in the two examples that I have , I brought them back from over seas so its anyone's guess who pieced the parts together. I also have a mint condition SA M1A1 wood stock I personally cut the white bag and removed it from original wrapper, found a M1A1 folding stock and pieced it back together , stuffed a Inland correct serial # barreled action into the stock unit and its my shooter M1A1. Inland correct serial # range for M1A1 carbines is ...a wide span . That shooter is right but not correct for WWII and its not a post war rebuild but it is a pile of correct parts.
Toss that out on gun show table and most would guess the arsenal put it together.

Lots of guesses when M1A1 carbines come up for examination.
Good points. And as time marches on, it'll be even harder to determine armory/rebuild origins or where it was assembled. I guess the most important thing with any of them is to at least make sure the parts are all authentic/original USGI M1A1 parts.
Then enjoy owning a unique piece of M1 carbine history!

VFW Patriots Circle Member
NRA Life Member
PMRPC - CMP/GSM Rifle Match Chairman
GSM Master Instructor
Old 06-18-2021, 06:23 PM

Just one other point. Often you see reference to IO inside the stock channel of a M1A1 and yes, that is a correct WWII Overland stock but that IO won't be there if the stock unit is a Springfield Armory M1A1 wood replacement stock. The clue its a Springfield is bottom of pistol grip will have a small SA stamping into the wood.

If a M1A1 stock is one of the Springfield replacement stocks, it could have any manufacturer M1 carbine barreled action in it ...just like is the case with a Post War Arsenal Rebuild marked M1A1 stock.

Opinion : If one wants a M1A1 carbine and provenance of WWII use is not a mandatory requirement, the safest M1A1 to buy is a M1A1 with arsenal rebuild marks on the stock and it matters not what the manufacturer is of the barreled action in that stock. Its correct for Post War rebuild / Korea /Viet Nam era military use.
Old 06-19-2021, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHill View Post
This video is a good place to start
https://youtu.be/Dx-8QgkbIiU

If they won't let you remove the action from the stock to inspect it then I would walk away.
Great video for reference,,,thanks for posting.
Old 06-20-2021, 02:40 PM

That is a decent video for a base line but the only mark that is always there for a WWII Inland stock is the IO in the barrel channel *** . The other marks vary based on wear and if the weapon got rebuilt. P or Circle P may be as shown in this vide or the P may be on inside of pistol grip or the stock has totally no P or Circle P. The information regarding what to look for on metal stock is 100 percent dead on the money.

Best advice is always do your home work or seek opinion of experienced carbine guys before you buy an M1 A1 carbine. Sadly this model carbine has been most popular for faking so heads up !

Some only view a M1A1 carbine as righteous if its in original WWII configuration the day it left Inland. Some will consider the weapon WWII if its been rebuilt during WWII and has upgrades to safety, rear sight and mag catch. Some just like the M1A1 in any of its WWII configuration and post WWII configuration. Collect focus can be very narrow at times with the M1A1.

*** If the IO is missing, look at bottom of pistol grip , you may find a small SA mark. Such a "SA" marked stock is legitimate but its a post WWII replacement wood stock by Springfield Armory and its folding wire metal butt stock will be a re purposed WWII legit folding stock put on that SA replacement wood stock. Such a M1A1 is post WWII and hopefully you won't buy one if your total M1A1 focus is a WWII M1A1. Thus sometimes IO not in stock channel is not a true indicator the wood stock is a fake or repro, it could very well be a SA marked Springfield Army post war replacement wood stock.

Last edited by milprileb; 06-20-2021 at 02:57 PM.