Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2022, 07:12 PM

Default CAI M14 S/A Sporter

I picked up a M14 with CAI M14 S/A sporter made in China marked on the barrel. I think this is either a Poly tech or Norinco rifle that was imported before the ban as it has the flash hider cut just above the castle nut which was welded. I cut the weld and damaged the castle nut. If anyone has the metric castle nut and the set screw that locks it, let me know. Are these receivers forged?
Old 01-18-2022, 07:38 AM

Receivers are forged and of excellent quality.
A standard castle nut has a thread that if fairly close to the Chinese and can be used.
The gas cylinder lock is another story and a usgi might not work.
RVN 67-68
Old 01-18-2022, 11:48 AM

Just a side bar note. When these Chinese made M1A rifles were imported, they were sneered at and maligned in every way possible. Then banned, they became and are now considered a good purchase. I think many shooters unfairly succumbed to false reporting and biased reporting and thus, lost an opportunity to get one of these rifles at a really great price.
Old 01-22-2022, 02:07 AM

I was lucky and picked one up this past weekend. Like new. 40 rounds through it. It also came with a USGI flash hider. 1200 bucks. Blank heel.

I had an M14 stock, grimy but good shape I am cleaning now. Looks like it's gonna be a nice one.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2022, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
Just a side bar note. When these Chinese made M1A rifles were imported, they were sneered at and maligned in every way possible. Then banned, they became and are now considered a good purchase. I think many shooters unfairly succumbed to false reporting and biased reporting and thus, lost an opportunity to get one of these rifles at a really great price.
Totally agree. These were the first forged receivers we had to work with and were as close or closer to USGI spec than anything else available at the time.
RVN 67-68
Old 01-23-2022, 12:10 AM

The early unmarked century import Norinco recvrs are really good, trigger group really solid too. The bolts are soft so check for setback on lugs.

Had one and rebuilt it with commercial barrel and GI bolt, really wish I wouldn't have sold it.

I'll look I might still have the Chinese castle nut and neutered flash hider.
Old 01-28-2022, 10:48 AM

I used to buy those at gun shows from people who thought they were Chinese pieces of junk. I remember having a mental price of never paying more than $450. that way I could flip them quickly and double my money. My first Norinco was a really good shooter. Wish i had held onto it.
Old 01-28-2022, 07:47 PM

Last side stamped Poly I bought came with 1K of Argentine ammo for $600.
RVN 67-68