Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2012, 03:13 PM

Some people like the tuner screws and some don't. I use mine for benchrest and find that they help on my rifles. The trick is to try them and see if they help or hurt the size of your groups. The settings have to be changed depending on temperatures, different ammo, and humidity.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:37 AM

I thought I would take some pics of the bores current condition.

To me, the bore looks kind of "frosty', but it is not pitted or dark. Here is a shot of the bore where I thought there might be an issue:

It seemed that the gasses or expelled carbon material was not very even around the bores rim...

A closer look also reviels what looks like an uneven rim cut (odd cut feature across the top of the crown in this pic:

The next two pics indicate to me, that the bore does have a frosty color, and it would appear that some of the lands and grooves are smoothed out a little:

Also in this last pic, note in the upper left of the muzzle, you can really see the uneven cut at the bores edge, and the frosty bore... is it me, or are the lands and grooves one with each other?

I used a magnifying glass, not a 20x magnification as recommended, but a simple glass, and I believe I saw some flat spots on the rifling, at the muzzle. Counter boring 3/8" might be just the trick, but I am no smithy.

WWG1WGA
Old 06-06-2012, 07:10 AM

It sure looks like it needs to be re-crowned. Someone really screwed it up. You might take a look at rimfireshooting.com and find a reference to "Que". He lives in Huntsville and does a lot of .22 work for people in this area. He works at Redstone and does the 22 work on the side. He fixed several problems for a friend of mine's 40x.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearyw View Post
It sure looks like it needs to be re-crowned. Someone really screwed it up. You might take a look at rimfireshooting.com and find a reference to "Que". He lives in Huntsville and does a lot of .22 work for people in this area. He works at Redstone and does the 22 work on the side. He fixed several problems for a friend of mine's 40x.
I found his contact info and website, and just sent him an email... Thank you for the heads up for a local contact.

WWG1WGA
Old 06-06-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Thank you pearyw;

I talked this evening with "Que" the member from the Rimfire Shooting forum, and he says that after looking at the thread on RFC, he believes the issues are with the bore. I am going to meet with him on Saturday to pass him my rifle, and he is going to look it over in his spare time.

He wants to start by slugging the bore to determine where, if any, there are any questionable spots of concern. He wants to take measurements from slugging the bore at both ends, and then slugging the entire bore. From there we will be in a better position to know what's wrong, and what needs to be done to fix it.

I have a good feeling about this path, and trust me, there have not been too many good feelings about shooting this rifle...

I am praying that I do not have to re-barrel this rifle.

WWG1WGA
Old 06-07-2012, 06:55 AM

Que is the guy everyone with 22 rifle problems in my gunclub goes to here in NW Alabama. His work is great. He just finished correcting some problems with a friends Anschutz 54 that he bought from CMP. It is really shooting well now. If it needs a barrel, it will be well worth it. Most of the 40x rifles I see in top benchrest competiton have been re-barreled.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:03 AM

Here is the question I hate to ask; what could I expect to pay for a new barrel for the 40X?

Obviously I would not want a "joe-schmoe" barrel, it would have to be a direct replacement to take on the mounts etc. And who carries such an animal these days... off to google these questions now.

WWG1WGA
Old 06-13-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Que is the guy everyone with 22 rifle problems in my gunclub goes to here in NW Alabama. His work is great. He just finished correcting some problems with a friends Anschutz 54 that he bought from CMP. It is really shooting well now. If it needs a barrel, it will be well worth it. Most of the 40x rifles I see in top benchrest competiton have been re-barreled.
Got a call from Que this evening... He states that the bore is not necessarily hurting the rifles accuracy, but it is certainly not helping either. The first round of inspections were and results were determined by slugging the bore. In short, the barrel slightly opens up at about the 14" mark and continues for 3" before tightening back and staying uniform to the muzzle. The muzzle needs cleaning up, but Que says that it really is not all that bad. It does have wear from cleaning rod damage, so some clean-up is in order. With a bore scope, he looked at the chamber end and noted that a step or two had been cut into the chamber, but the round seems to fit nice and snug. He also noted some scoring from years and years of rounds being fired down the tube.

He is going to check headspace and then work his way from the action to the stock. There is nothing definitive yet, but I believe he will make the rifle accurate again... he just wants to be able to narrow the problem down.

WWG1WGA
Old 06-14-2012, 07:28 PM

most sk,lapua and eley ammo reaches their maximum velocity between 14" and 19" imop it would be best to lap a consistant with no restrictions starting at the muzzle to the action then recrown.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:37 PM

The gentleman looking my 40X over is of the opinion that my barrel is the issue. He feels that the barrel needs to be worked from both ends... a custom fit barrel would be recommended, but re-working the original would be cheaper.

I have a line on a fellow who has take-offs for people who install barrells for bench rest. They are factory barrells in various conditions for $100 shipped. I have not priced a Benchmark or Lilja replacement barrel... feeling completely lost at this point. I will get the rifle back from Que and try the muzzle tool I purchased. If the muzzle tool fails to increase accuracy of the rifle, then I will repost the rifle in the for sale forum and catagorize it as a project rifle that needs to be re-barreled. At this point I would just be cutting my losses and offering the 40X to someone who could make her all she can be. Trades would be most welcome too...

WWG1WGA