Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2021, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomhandle View Post
Hi Fellows,

This is a interesting thread. I have added my slight input early on.
I would like to narrow down the parameters we are posting about.

One rifle might be better for one type of match & not in the running for another.

1- May I ask about how many NRA or CMP match's & what type of match ZvenoMan & Fenris_Bane or others have attended in past years.

2- Your best two or three scores & with what rifle?

3- What were the distances the match was shot?

4- Did you use new over the counter match bullets , CMP surplus bullets or your premium handloads?

Thanks for your input,
broomhandle
I have shot 1903s (not A3s) and 1917s in CMP (GSM if I recall) and NRA (highpower) matches. CMP @200 yards and NRA @100. They shot about the same for me; in the 70s; reasonable for me at that time and considering I shoot neither regularly. Both were well suited for the matches (makes sense as the matches were developed for them). HXP in those rifles/matches; I have never handloaded for them. Holding the black was no issue for me.
I've never shot my A3 at all (wait a minute, I need to fix that).

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 05-19-2021, 06:05 AM

Well: I have fired hundreds of matches from local to nationals, mainly CMP GSV, but plenty of NRA service rifle, some LR and other.... Best GSVM were a few 290+ with mostly bolt rifles, generally feel that anything over 280 is OK. Distances were mainly 100 & 200 yards for GSVM (obviously). I am old now and my best shooting is in the past. My 1917 is the most accurate of the GSV rifles, but 1903A3s are close. M1s typically throw fliers and groups migrate. If you have one that doesn't, don't mess with it. I shot an exception Danish VAR M1 with outstanding results, until the TE reached 9 or 10. Good handloads (that means decent, not necessarily match bullets) will beat mil ammo by about 1 moa and can be loaded to significantly reduce recoil (and cost). A standard load is 110gr Hornady spire point @ 2900fps, COAL 3.09" with any suitable powder, any brass and a magnum primer. You do not need heavy BTHP bullets for GSVM matches. All this info can be found in old posts on these forums. Good Shooting. ...
Old 05-19-2021, 07:17 AM

Hi Fellow posters,

Maybe I have to revisit a 1917 Enfield It's about history & FUN, cost somehow becomes a non issue.

I shot mainly the service match's at 200,300 & 600 yards 35 + years ago. Mainly in NYS, Long Island & Conn. In 2019, I made it up to Camp Perry & shot the vintage Springfield match. I'm hoping to get up there this year.

Back 35+ years ago, we used any WW-2 ammo. we could find. Then I bought a few box's of Federal match ammo & was surprised how the groups tightened up. That was a eye opener! A WW-2 vet introduced me to reloading & I have been using my ammo ever since! I actually met Ken Waters in person at many match's. He was a very nice man & willing to share his knowledge with a average guy.

I just got into using lighter bullets in 2019 for less recoil. Never thought about it in the past! I'm not the brightest candle in the room!

Thanks for your reply's,
broom
Old 05-22-2021, 08:23 PM

Bottom line is when their gone, do you want to say, man I should have bought one? If you won't regret it, then pass, if your not sure, buy it and later you can sell it for more if you choose too. Heck you could put it on gunbroaker now and make a profit if you chose too