X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • B-52
    • Oct 2012

Mossberg 42MB(a) buttplate

I've recently acquired a 42MB(a) that apparently never made it across the pond as it has no British markings of any kind. Of interest is the buttplate which is a black plastic cupped design instead of the flat stamped steel with a trapdoor. The stock has not been inletted to accommodate the spare magazine and is slightly oversized compared to the buttplate. In my internet searching I've found several photos that were labelled as 42MB that had the same type of buttplate. As I haven't been able to find any written confirmation of this variation I'm hoping that someone can provide enlightenment.

Thanks!
    Kevin
  • i1afli
    • Nov 2011

My 42MB(a) SN 38xxx has the black plastic cupped butt plate, no stock inlet, and is British proof marked.

Comment

• pickax
      • Jan 2011

Mine is very similar to yours with no Brit proofs and plastic butt plate. #432xx
      Did you see the survey done here?
      http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=461084

Comment

• B-52
        • Oct 2012

Thanks for the link. I provided my data to the survey. It appears that my walnut stock is not unusual and the plastic buttplate is common in the higher SNs

Comment

• edlmann
          • Oct 2009

Originally posted by B-52 View Post
          . . . the plastic buttplate is common in the higher SNs
          Have a 42M with the old style buttplate; the trap door is long gone, as are many of them. I think toward the end of production Mossberg dropped the trapdoor because they got tired of complaints.
          A few variations on the black-cat-in-a-dark-room analogy:
          1. Philosophy is like being in a dark room and looking for a black cat.
          2. Metaphysics is like being in a dark room and looking for a black cat that isn't there.
          3. Under Marxism, it's like being in a dark room, looking for a black cat that isn't there, and the State announces, "We found it!"

Comment

• saddler
            • Sep 2014

Mine has a steel buttplate, as is the case with buttplate in the spare stock I found.

Not heard of plastic ones!

Comment

• presidentg
              • Oct 2009

Here's a couple of sites that are excellent for Mossberg info
              www.havlinsales.com
              http://home.epix.net/~damguy/
              Mossberg would make model changes "on the fly" so you're likey to find cross-over rifles; old models with a few new model features and new models with a few old model features.
              Be warned, Mossberg .22s are highly addictive and wonderful!!
              give me liberty or give me death
              GSM Master Instructor
              NRA Life Member
              Slaves don't dream of being free. They dream of being masters. ~ August Stetten

Comment

• presidentg
                • Oct 2009

I just checked in Victor Havlin's Mossberg-More Gun for the Money concerning the lend-lease model 42MB. It appears Mossberg took the 42M commercial model with a walnut stock and steel butt plate and changed to a utility hardwood stock with the molded butt plate. This became the 42MB. As I mentioned you can find cross-over rifles, mixed spec rifles in the military trainers. Mossberg used whatever parts were at hand to fill these early contracts.
                The 42MB was delivered with the Mossberg #4 peep which the Brits found fault with and replaced with the Parker-Hale. The molded butt plate would be the correct butt plate, at least according to Victor Havlin.
                If you're a fan of Mossberg firearms I highly recommend Mossberg-More Gun for the Money.
                Last edited by presidentg; 09-10-2014, 09:24 AM.
                give me liberty or give me death
                GSM Master Instructor
                NRA Life Member
                Slaves don't dream of being free. They dream of being masters. ~ August Stetten

Comment

• BARFTS
                  • Oct 2010

I have a 42MB, US marked, no British proofs, plastic butt plate. Serial number is 43125. The stock is walnut, metal blued, Mossberg sights. The only thing missing when I acquired the rifle was the front sight hood and the forward sling swivel. At the time Havlin confirmed the plastic butt plate as being the correct one.

Comment

Working...
                  X