Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2021, 07:22 AM

I lube similarly to ceresco with a focus on the neck, shoulder, and web. That said, I just had a die replaced by the manufacturer for a similar problem. Binding and chattering mo matter how much lube or brand of cartridge case. They found the die to be “out of spec”. New one works fine.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to rcolarco

I'd rather use too much lube and suffer the occasional lube dent than too little and risk a stuck case. That said, my experience with spray lube loading over 20 different bottleneck cases is, use the lube according to directions and you will experience no problems.
ACEP-certified coach
Old 06-14-2021, 08:12 AM

Did you clean the new dies before use? My new Redding set specifically calls out the cleaning necessary.
Mike
Old 06-14-2021, 08:22 AM

Have you tried lowering the expander ball? Sounds like the expander ball may be trying to size the inside of the case neck at the same time the die is sizing the outside of the case neck. That happened to me once before early in my reloading journey, but I didn't quite rip a case apart doing so.

Last edited by oodnoodn; 06-14-2021 at 08:36 PM.
Old 06-14-2021, 02:17 PM

New dies are sprayed with a dry film preservative and "MUST" be removed with a solvent like Hoppe's 9. If not removed it will create excessive friction like you are having.
Old 06-14-2021, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigedp51 View Post
New dies are sprayed with a dry film preservative and "MUST" be removed with a solvent like Hoppe's 9. If not removed it will create excessive friction like you are having.
I would not use Hoppes only because it attacks copper. I would not want it any where near my brass cases.
Acetone, Lacquer Thinner, or even Mineral Spirits might be a better choice for cleaning in my opinion.
Old 06-14-2021, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post
I would not use Hoppes only because it attacks copper. I would not want it any where near my brass cases.
Acetone, Lacquer Thinner, or even Mineral Spirits might be a better choice for cleaning in my opinion.
Hoppe's does not attack copper. I suppose you object to bore cleaning with it also.

I clean my dies with action blaster or brake cleaner. Brake cleaner could clean Hitler's soul.
ACEP-certified coach
Old 06-14-2021, 09:05 PM

Hoppes #9 contains ammonium hydroxide ( per their MSDS sheet ) which will react with copper. The reacted product is the blue color you see on your bore patches. I don't clean my die's with Hoppe's....I use acetone to remove the lube. Brake Cleaner would probably be the best for removing the oils, grease, and lube.

Last edited by luigi; 06-15-2021 at 07:25 AM.
Old 06-15-2021, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi View Post
Hoppes #9 contains ammonium hydroxide ( per their MSDS sheet ) which will react with copper. The reacted product is the blue color you see on your bore patches. I don't clean my die's with Hoppe's....I use acetone to remove the lube.
OK, so if we shouldn't use Hoppes to clean dies, we shouldn't use it in rifles either, correct?
ACEP-certified coach
Old 06-15-2021, 05:44 AM

Y’all are killing me,,,

Once the Hoppe’s dries it is a non issue. Personally I use mineral spirits to clean my dies.

Then I give them a wipe of light oil and then wipe that off with a rag. Do not oil the inside of the powder charge die.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk