Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2021, 10:25 AM

The field grade I got would pass for a service grade. Remington frame with a Colt slide. Barrel looks parked but shows minimal scuffing from slide wear.
Old 06-12-2021, 05:24 PM

First a thank you to the US Army for not destroying excess & outdated pistol inventory. Iím sure it would have been easier to scrap these pistols than inventory in climate controlled warehouses. Thanks to CMP for the foresight to work out the transfer from the Government and necessary FFL background checks & transfer to FFL dealers & finally to us.
I ask for a service grade and was expecting a Arsenal rebuild, at least once, and reparkerizing, at least once. I assumed the frame/slide would be different manufacturers, small parts replaced from various sources.
What I received was a Ithaca pistol. No rebuild stamps. Retains original finish (well worn). All parts: frame, slide, HS barrel, show matching & appropriate wear. Small parts: barrel bushing, slide stop, thumb safety, grip safety, magazine release, main spring housing & hammer are blued. Hammer, slide stop, main spring housing & thumb safety are serrated typical for Ithaca. Magazine is a new Vietnam era piece. Am I pleased? Yes, just luck of the draw - I was not expecting this pistol to be original. Thank you US Army & CMP.
Old 06-13-2021, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thompma2929 View Post
I requested a service grade and if I had it to do over again I would go with a field grade. The description is identical and my service grade, while a good shooter, came with a 1980ís vintage slide. Not at all what I had hoped for.
Field grade and service grade descriptions are not identical.

A 1980s vintage slide can, and will appear on all 3 grades.

JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 06-14-2021, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan13 View Post
Longer answer - the person who calls you is working from a crate of mixed grades. If a lot of people before you from the same crate requests Service, they will only have Field or Rack when they call you. They work out of a crate until it is gone. The next crate starts the process all over.
I have to ask at this point where you are getting your information from. The person "working the crates" is likely in a different part of the building, if not a completely different building altogether, from the folks making the phone calls. Also, unless they changed things vastly since I volunteered (The rifle side of the organization), all grades are not simply dumped back into the same crate once graded.

Last edited by Fogtripper; 06-14-2021 at 07:16 AM.
Old 06-14-2021, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogtripper View Post
I have to ask at this point where you are getting your information from. The person "working the crates" is likely in a different part of the building, if not a completely different building altogether, from the folks making the phone calls. Also, unless they changed things vastly since I volunteered (The rifle side of the organization), all grades are not simply dumped back into the same crate once graded.
I've heard this also
I assumed - which is never good, that they sort them at the beginning and makes sheets of numbers/crates for each and then a call person get this sheet. The sheet or perhaps its internal on-line and the person asking would check off which one was selected and then the sheet is forwarded to the pickers.
An assumption that makes sense to me....
Old 06-14-2021, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmall-130 View Post
First a thank you to the US Army for not destroying excess & outdated pistol inventory. Iím sure it would have been easier to scrap these pistols than inventory in climate controlled warehouses. Thanks to CMP for the foresight to work out the transfer from the Government and necessary FFL background checks & transfer to FFL dealers & finally to us.
I ask for a service grade and was expecting a Arsenal rebuild, at least once, and reparkerizing, at least once. I assumed the frame/slide would be different manufacturers, small parts replaced from various sources.
What I received was a Ithaca pistol. No rebuild stamps. Retains original finish (well worn). All parts: frame, slide, HS barrel, show matching & appropriate wear. Small parts: barrel bushing, slide stop, thumb safety, grip safety, magazine release, main spring housing & hammer are blued. Hammer, slide stop, main spring housing & thumb safety are serrated typical for Ithaca. Magazine is a new Vietnam era piece. Am I pleased? Yes, just luck of the draw - I was not expecting this pistol to be original. Thank you US Army & CMP.

By climate controlled you mean out of the rain, right?

I worked briefly in the ANAD small arms warehouse and the only climate control was keeping the rain and sun out. Other than that hot in the summer and cold in the winter.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-14-2021, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogtripper View Post
This has been stated several times on several threads. No one from the CMP has corrected this line of thinking. Not going to post every thread I have seen this in, but here is one I quickly found using the search feature:

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread....ighlight=Crate
Old 06-14-2021, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan13 View Post
This has been stated several times on several threads. No one from the CMP has corrected this line of thinking. Not going to post every thread I have seen this in, but here is one I quickly found using the search feature:

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread....ighlight=Crate
You searched for "crate" and got that. However that in no way means the person calling "you" is working from a crate.

The armorers open a crate. They process what is in it. Included in that processing is grading each pistol.
As the pistols complete the inspection and grading process they are setup for sale. That is by part number (there are 3 obviously, Rack-Field-Service).
The armorers do that, and only that. They do not process orders, match FFLs with customers, call customers, nor do they package and ship.

If the last few crates contained few pistols of one grade then it is possible they may not be able to offer all 3 grades when an RNG is called. The person calling (order processor) has a live view of what grades are available. Once you select and pay they send that order to the shipping team who pulls a pistol from the grade you selected, packs and ships.

Joe Sixpack working in his garage may have 1 person (him) do all parts of the fulfilment process, each time, on a per-order basis; most operations larger than that use processes that offer more efficiency.
This is no different from the M1 Garand process.

JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 06-14-2021, 03:31 PM

That would make sense.
Old 06-14-2021, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZvenoMan View Post
You searched for "crate" and got that. However that in no way means the person calling "you" is working from a crate.

The armorers open a crate. They process what is in it. Included in that processing is grading each pistol.
As the pistols complete the inspection and grading process they are setup for sale. That is by part number (there are 3 obviously, Rack-Field-Service).
The armorers do that, and only that. They do not process orders, match FFLs with customers, call customers, nor do they package and ship.

If the last few crates contained few pistols of one grade then it is possible they may not be able to offer all 3 grades when an RNG is called. The person calling (order processor) has a live view of what grades are available. Once you select and pay they send that order to the shipping team who pulls a pistol from the grade you selected, packs and ships.

Joe Sixpack working in his garage may have 1 person (him) do all parts of the fulfilment process, each time, on a per-order basis; most operations larger than that use processes that offer more efficiency.
This is no different from the M1 Garand process.

JH

Dang, another conspiracy theory put to rest. Whatís nextÖ..you going to tell us that the military didnít sort out these pistols for cosmetic looks just in case one day they got to sell them?