Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2013, 04:02 PM

Default Which would you keep?

I bought these both in the last day. One is a Ruger MKIII that is brand new. Other is a Browning Challenger II made in the 80s or so, but in real nice condition...

I cannot keep both, but bought them as they were I think a good buy. The New Ruger was 250.00 and the Browning was 200.00.

Both were private sales....I have no prior experience with either model. I have only shot them in the basement so far

If you have experience with either Model, let me know what you think of them..
http://imageshack.us/a/img534/2241/zt48.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img4/7503/wb89.jpg

Last edited by carbineone; 12-06-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:15 PM

TOUGH CHOICE...I bought my wife a MKIII Target model and we BOTH love it. Given the choice of your two guns I'd keep the Browning. I've shot those and they have real nice.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:26 PM

I am somewhat leaning towards the Browning for two reason so far. It is 50.00 cheaper, and Ruger has done some things over the years I personally dislike..That is assuming I can even get my money back on the one I do not keep
Old 12-06-2013, 04:34 PM

You should be able to easily sell the Ruger for more than $250. Ruger has been accused of things in the past, most which weren't as bad as some people would lead you to believe if you put them in context. Even so I believe Ruger makes a GREAT product, has UNBELIEVABLE customer service, and has been a friend of the shooting sports as of recent history.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:42 PM

Oh, I do not go as far as saying I "hate" Ruger by any means and they make good stuff..They do have great customer service if you need it... I bought my wife one of those little SR22 Pistols and she really likes it. I just have a few areas that they angered me somewhat..

Used to have a little Bearcat. That was nice little Revolver.. Wish I still had it...Have also owned others like a NO.1, and 10-22s among others..
Old 12-06-2013, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Which has the better trigger?

"The trouble with most people is that they think with their hopes or fears or wishes rather than with their minds."--Will Durant
Old 12-06-2013, 05:20 PM

Keep the one your wife or kids like the best.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:24 PM

I don't like the short barrel Rugers and I like the MkII a little better than the III. Personally, I think I 'd go with the Browning.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave tengdin View Post
Keep the one your wife or kids like the best.
Wife has her little SR22 as mentioned above. She will not shoot anything else, but I could try..

I am leaning towards the Browning right now and that is the one I may keep. I also like the longer barrel on the Browning..Heck if I get a decent little Christmas Bonus I may keep both

Oh, the Browning has a very nice trigger. Definitely better than the Ruger has..
Old 12-07-2013, 10:47 AM

After messing around some more with the Browning I discovered something odd. It runs CCI Standard Velocity perfectly till the last round. For some reason the bolt locks back while the last round is still in the mag. I have to hit the slide release lever to chamber the last round manually. In other words the slide hold open is premature on the last round..

The Browning appears to have been shot very little. I am guessing possibly under a 100 rounds..

I did discover the takedown of the Browning is so, very, very much easier. The Ruger stinks in that dept. I do like the mag release better on the ruger. The Browning one is located at the base of the grip and somewhat of a pain. Insertion of the mags on the Browning kinda stinks too. They almost have to be countersunk into the frame so to speak..They ride flush with the bottom of the frame or even countersunk a little..

I would like to find some spare mags for the Browning. May place a wanted ad here and hope..

But I still like the Browning better despite those pitfalls...Now to figure out the last round problem...Off to the basement..
Thanks

Last edited by carbineone; 12-07-2013 at 10:50 AM.