Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2013, 12:28 PM

Buy yourself some good CCI Standard Velocity and make your own match ammo from it. It can be done. There are tools specifically sold to do it, but you can make match ammo at home for very cheap.. Just sorting it by rim thickness using a calipers can give you some very nice shooting ammo. There are tools sold to do it, but alot of us already have the simple tools around to do it right if you take the time.. You can even make it better, it if you want to get into sorting each round by weight...If you do both of these things you will find you have some very nice ammo that will rival 10.00 a box stuff..

I still say the prices of the so called match ammo is ridiculous.. Try making your own and you will find how easy it is and how accurate standard ammo can be. You can even go as far as pulling bullets and putting in your own powder charge and re crimping using a modified .223 die..Thats a extreme but if you take the time and effort, you can turn standard ammo into very good match ammo..At a fraction of the cost.

Last edited by carbineone; 12-01-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwenum View Post
Bullets.com just cancelled my son's Ohio order.certain banned areas(no,we aren't in Cleveland,but doesn't a difference I guess)
Did they give a reason / explanation for not shipping to Ohio?
Old 12-01-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbineone View Post
Buy yourself some good CCI Standard Velocity and make your own match ammo from it. It can be done. There are tools specifically sold to do it, but you can make match ammo at home for very cheap.. Just sorting it by rim thickness using a calipers can give you some very nice shooting ammo. There are tools sold to do it, but alot of us already have the simple tools around to do it right if you take the time.. You can even make it better, it if you want to get into sorting each round by weight...If you do both of these things you will find you have some very nice ammo that will rival 10.00 a box stuff..

I still say the prices of the so called match ammo is ridiculous.. Try making your own and you will find how easy it is and how accurate standard ammo can be. You can even go as far as pulling bullets and putting in your own powder charge and re crimping using a modified .223 die..Thats a extreme but if you take the time and effort, you can turn standard ammo into very good match ammo..At a fraction of the cost.
Funny you bring this up. I use CCI Std Vel and SK Std+ now since I have found them through this thread. I have found that weighing them alone makes a huge difference as far as flyers. I usually do 4-6 boxes at a time. Doesnt take that long, I seperate them in 31g, 31.5g, 32g and the rest for warming up the barrel.

I sometimes will do the rim thickness as well, using calipers and Hornady Rim Thickness gauge. I have found that eliminating the anvil gives me a more accurate reading as the rim bottoms on the caliper which is precisely square and the tool anvil has a slight dimple in reference to the video I watched on YouTube on how to check the rim thickness when I first started.

There is also another rim thickness testing tool and I found it on Ebay: "Gunsmith Target Ammo Accuracy Gauge 17/22"

There is also a Neal Waltz .22 Rimfire Re-sizing Die which I have read some good reviews as well. This can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inEmsBcAwho

Alot of stuff to chose from, but for accurate shooting I believe you have to buy high quality to get the one hole groups.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotafish View Post

Alot of stuff to chose from, but for accurate shooting I believe you have to buy high quality to get the one hole groups.
Couldnt have said it any better
Old 12-01-2013, 10:22 PM

This link is for a hard core test of a bunch of different 22 ammo. All the ammo was shot from good rifles but it clearly shows there is a 5 to 7 times increase in accuracy from the worst ammo to the best tested. It also shows that not the most expensive ammo is the best for every condition but it does show that better quality ammo will for the most part produce better scores. Anyway it's a very interesting read and the test results should at least make the accuracy freaks like me think.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/guns-...mparison-test/
Old 12-02-2013, 08:38 AM

Looks like the CCI Standard Velocity beats out both makes of the SK ammo at all yardages in those tests It is in fact close to the top in all categories..

Add handsorting to the CCI ammo and it will equal or better the High Dollar "match grade" stuff..I have done it for many years...
Old 12-02-2013, 08:45 AM

Again and as stated in that article accuracy varies from rifle to rifle with 22 ammo
Yes handsorting will reduce fliers, I do it with HXP with very good results . Its a great way to reduce your groups but I dont live in a dream world and know it wont preform as well as handloads or Match ammunition
Old 12-02-2013, 12:41 PM

I bought a lot of the Remington SV ammo several years ago when it was being sold at Walmart and I could not find any other SV ammo to shoot in my High Standard Supermatic Trophy. The only rifle that I have that will shoot well with it, is my Remington 40XB heavy barrel that I bought from CMP. I get the best results in my High Standard with the CCI SV.

Last edited by pearyw; 12-02-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:54 PM

Default There my be hope

Gander Mt - Germantown WI, has a pallet of CCI Std for $49.99/brick and Federal Auto Match for $17.99/325, limit one each per day. They also had Winchester 100 packs for $7.99 limit 2. A little pricey but not CRAZY pricey if you need some
Old 12-02-2013, 05:04 PM

"Looks like the CCI Standard Velocity beats out both makes of the SK ammo ", really, funny I don't see the SK Standard plus anywhere,But seeing how Lapua now owns SK then perhaps when that test was done they merely used the Lapua Standard plus in its place and the Lapua S.P. outperformed a lot of other viable ammo. CCI 's Ok to use and functions well in several 22's I have had now and in the past,but I doubt its up to spec or performance when compaired to the SK Standard Plus, but then again I could be wrong have been before,lol

Last edited by TOMMYT654; 12-02-2013 at 05:13 PM.