Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2021, 07:35 AM

Default Stock Duplicating....

Recently had a neighbor set up a portable sawmill next to my property. We had a major powerline project go through and they left around 150 tree trunks--maple, white oak, hickory, sassafras, cherry, etc. I had a black walnut trunk, rejected and left over from some ten years ago. It looked pretty bad, but I dragged it out, knowing it was the last chance. We ripped it open with the chainsaw and the millers were able to get some great blanks out of it. My initial though was to trade some of the blanks for completed 1903, 1917 or Krag stocks...if I could find a co-operative stockmaker. After looking at videos, I am wondering about the feisability of using one of the basic duplicating machines to make usable stocks. The 1917 and Krag wood is almost unavailable at reasonable prices and I have lots of barreled receivers that need a home. Anyone with experience using the simple duplicators , please share your thoughts. After carving part of the reject trunk, I am on the hunt for more walnut in the old farmstead. Found lots of trees including a blown out top that yielded six more blanks and I'm sure there is a lot more. It is addictive to see these trunks opened up. The colors and patterns are amazing. Good Shooting. ....
Old 05-28-2021, 08:14 AM

Best of luck in your project. Having inletted and fitted a few stocks, myself, I know that it will be an ambitious project.

What you say about your walnut trees reminds me of something my Dad told me and my brother when we were teenagers. He was concerned that with all the harvesting of walnut trees back in the 1960's, there wouldn't be any left for making gunstocks in the future. He suggested that we gather the walnuts from the one tree on our property and plant them in various places whenever we hunted. That way, maybe some trees would grow from them.

Even though today's modern rifles usually sport plastic, fiberglass, and composite stocks, the need for nice walnut stocks still exists and those of us traditionalists are always appreciative of them.

Last edited by navyrifleman; 05-28-2021 at 11:31 PM.
Old 05-28-2021, 09:56 AM

The source of my walnut trees is an old farm located on property adjacent to mine which I was finally able to buy about twenty years ago. The old farmhouse and barn burned in the 60s. The number of walnut trees that self seeded is impressive. The area is so overgrown that it took me half an hour with the JD 450 to open it up. I am going to do a full inspection, try to trim the young trees and clear off the vines and brush. There is a beautiful hand dug well with fieldstone walls and the semi melted windmill buried in the ruble and overgrowth. Kind of a time capsule. Good Shooting. ....
Old 05-28-2021, 03:49 PM

My friends had some Cherry trees harvested from their property up in the Catskills about 15 years ago. I don't know how old they were, but like most cases they were trees that grew along the perimeter of an old farm.
It got me thinking about planting hardwood trees wherever they would do well.
It won't benefit this or the next generation, but maybe a century from now, someone will find them.
It looks like we are getting close to being able to plant Chestnut trees, wouldn't that be nice for future generations.
Old 05-28-2021, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
Recently had a neighbor set up a portable sawmill next to my property. We had a major powerline project go through and they left around 150 tree trunks--maple, white oak, hickory, sassafras, cherry, etc. I had a black walnut trunk, rejected and left over from some ten years ago. It looked pretty bad, but I dragged it out, knowing it was the last chance. We ripped it open with the chainsaw and the millers were able to get some great blanks out of it. My initial though was to trade some of the blanks for completed 1903, 1917 or Krag stocks...if I could find a co-operative stockmaker. After looking at videos, I am wondering about the feisability of using one of the basic duplicating machines to make usable stocks. The 1917 and Krag wood is almost unavailable at reasonable prices and I have lots of barreled receivers that need a home. Anyone with experience using the simple duplicators , please share your thoughts. After carving part of the reject trunk, I am on the hunt for more walnut in the old farmstead. Found lots of trees including a blown out top that yielded six more blanks and I'm sure there is a lot more. It is addictive to see these trunks opened up. The colors and patterns are amazing. Good Shooting. ....
I know a stock maker that has a duplicating machine. If your interested in contacting him, PM me.
Old 05-28-2021, 08:22 PM

I know a stock maker that has a duplicating machine. If your interested in contacting him, PM me.

Would very much appreciate an information available. Sincerely. bruce.
Old 05-29-2021, 08:08 AM

If someone is really interested in gun stocks I have the 1962 book "Checkering and Carving of Gunstocks" by Monty Kennedy, excellent condition and covers alot of gunstocks, checkering patterns etc. I have listed this book for sale on the cmp for sale forum without anyone interested. Send me your email if there is any interest.

Also you need to find the way to dry the stock blanks, plus seal the ends
Old 05-29-2021, 08:11 AM

Default Stock making

It's hard to beat the beauty of a wood stock. I am so impressed with the work of the old custom gunmakers. I could be interested in a couple Krag repair forends too. Keep us posted If you have some stocks for sale.
Old 05-29-2021, 09:05 AM

I would love to try making a stock someday but I have too many unfinished projects that need my attention first to the point I doubt Iíll ever get to making a stock. I have however made grips for revolvers and knife handles and it is a satisfying feeling to hold one and know you made it. I canít imagine how great it would feel to have an entire rifle stock with guards that you make yourself.
Old 05-29-2021, 10:01 AM

I have made three single shot rifle stocks from blanks:

first was birdseye maple for a Ruger No 3 single shot 308 cal

second was Remington rolling block rifle that I converted to 22 rim fire
with California walnut

third was single shot rifle that I built in 22 rf also with California walnut.

Have a smaller milling machine helps inletting the tangs and barrel
channel