Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2009, 07:59 AM

Default 40X USMC sights

does anyone know what the correct sight set up was for the usmc 40X??
Old 12-18-2009, 09:22 AM

The ones sold before this release were sold with the Redfield International rear sight and the Olympic front......, but they sent me an Olympic rear sight with the one I got that time around. The ad description said the International rear, so they may have just included whatever they had on hand or I got an incorrect one.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:30 AM

As I understand it (and please, anyone with more accurate info, feel free to chime in here...) Redfield Olympics, on Front and Rear would be the most correct for the USMC 40X. The International is sort of a beefed up version of the Olympic and may also be correct in that it was available for retrofit within the time period of the rifle's "heyday". The Palma, which is supposed to be an overall "better" sight came later on and therefore would be even more of a deviation from historical and as issued "correctness". In the end, if your rifle is intended to be a shooter rather than a museum piece, all that really matters is getting all those little 40 grainers in the same hole on the target so "pick yer poison!"

Steve
Old 12-18-2009, 10:11 AM

In T.D.Batha's book, U.S.Martial .22RF Rifles, he reports that the typical front sight was a Redfield #63 and the receiver sight a Redfield Olympic. However the rifle illustrated is set up with a Redfield Olympic front and a Redfield Palma rear. Batha also states that these rifle were delivered in small batches, so I expect the only way to know for certain is to run down the paperwork (good luck).
I'll bet that any of the contemporary Redfield sights could have shown up.

Last edited by presidentg; 12-18-2009 at 10:12 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-18-2009, 11:26 AM

When I got my USMC 40X in 2006 or 07 ,it came with International rear& Olympic front.HTH Mike
Old 12-18-2009, 01:19 PM

the usmc I got last year had the redfield palma rear and olympic front and the barrel had been set back and rechambered. and for a 50 year old barrel it is amazingly accurate.