Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
My children bought me a "Ruger match grade 10-22 " with the hammered barrel etc. etc. etc. I put a recoil buffer, auto bolt release and an extended mag release on it. With normal hearing protection, after installing a recoil buffer( looks like a hard plastic rod that replaces the steel pin) all I can hear is the bolt shutting, a little report and the spent pinging on the ground. Give it a try for about $9.00. I think you will like it.
Now, that is something that I haven't tried, and it just might be a good idea.
Maybe.

Jim
Old 07-09-2011, 07:05 PM

For a lark, I shot my CMP Rem 40X in small bore matches but in original configuration it is not competitive due to the awful stock and poor trigger. It is far easier to shoot cleans with an Anschutz and there are lots of accessories available for an Anschutz.

During one Camp Perry small bore, I was able to take pictures of the Rem 40X used by the Gentleman on my left. He had installed a custom stock. The rifle was not a military M40X.

This is one of his 100 yard targets. He was shooting well with this rifle.

I am certain given a better trigger and better stock a CMP Rem 40X could be competitive.

Given a complete rebuild, with new barrel, stock, trigger, I don't see any reason why it could not be very competitive.

Today I shot next to a shooter who was using a Remington M37 action. The action was the only original M37 part on his rifle, and he is shooting master class scores.

Last edited by Slamfire; 07-09-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:10 PM

Yes,
The anschutz is boringly accurate. but, go to the good outdoor ranges and learn the dopes for various yardages, lovingly put your rifle into the hardcase it deserves, load it in an old willy's jeep, drive out on an 85,000 acre ranch in northern california, find a ground squirrel colony and a nice shady oak tree, set up your beverage cooler within reach of your shooting mat, learn to judge yardage and have fun shooting that very expensive .22 rimfire. Sometimes you must work on the locusts or whatever plague is doing the ranch harm at the time. No, we did not drink alcohol and we always played safe. Give it a try.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:05 PM

Looking at the pic of the 100 yard 40X target, in slamfires posting, makes me wonder if the guy was shooting in a stiff breeze. Or if there was something serious wrong with his 40X. All my shots at 100 yards are all in the X ring easy with my 40X.

Or is there just a bit of bragging up your favorite anschutz.

You could say the same about me but here again is a pic of my best target from my sporterized 40X.
John

Old 07-09-2011, 10:15 PM
GSM Master Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpickar View Post
Looking at the pic of the 100 yard 40X target, in slamfires posting, makes me wonder if the guy was shooting in a stiff breeze. Or if there was something serious wrong with his 40X. All my shots at 100 yards are all in the X ring easy with my 40X.

Or is there just a bit of bragging up your favorite anschutz.

You could say the same about me but here again is a pic of my best target from my sporterized 40X.
John

Go back and read your original post. You shot your group from a bench with the aid of a scope. The guy at Camp Perry did it the hard way, sling supported prone with iron sights. There is a BIG difference between shooting a scoped rifle from a bench and getting down on the ground in a heavy shooting coat and shooting from position, with simple iron sights, no magnification, no crosshair to tell you exactly where your aiming, just a couple of concentric circles to stare through. Not to mention this is from Camp Perry, where there is ALWAYS a stiff breeze and it's probably 85+ with 90% humidity. The dude cleaned both his record targets, and that's all you can ask for. Sure, someone might get him on X count, but that's just the way the game goes.

Matt
Old 07-10-2011, 12:49 AM

Not arguing the scope vs. target sights and bench vs. prone.

Just saying the 40X is a better gun than you guys are giving it credit for.

John
Old 07-10-2011, 05:45 AM
GSM Master Instructor

I personally never said the 40X isn't a good rifle. Heck I'm headed up to the North Store int he morning to get one of the hacked up 52's that they are releasng for sale, if they have any 40X barreled receivers, I just might get one of those too.

I think that where the 40X falls short is the stock. Today, you just aren't competetive unless you have a good, adjustable stock. It's too hard to maintain a good comfortable, consistent position without all that stuff, especially in offhand. The cheek piece needs to move up and down, the butt needs a hook, it needs to move up and down, in and out, and cant left and right. Some guys even want a moveable pistol grip, but I think I could live without one.

My purpose in getting one of the cut down Win. 52 rifles is so that I can put it into a proper stock and see what it will do. I think that if you put one of these rifles (either 40X or 52D) into a modern stock, you may very well have a competetive rifle. There is nothing wrong with the action or barrel, and the technology in those hasn't changed much in the last 50 years. The advances have been in ergonomic stocks and better sights.

At the end of the day, if you've got a rifle that is capable of cleaning your intended target, the rest is academic. It's not the bow, its the indian that counts.

Matt
Old 07-10-2011, 05:45 AM

everyone on this forum has seen a fraction of my rifles. the one rifle not in any of my safes is an anschutz and i have no plans adding one. buy a barreled usmc 40x, take the rifle to Alex @masterclass have him put that action in one of his stocks. add a jewell trigger and you have a better rifle. I have seen this so many times, someone buys a anschutz and the first thing they do is have Alex bed it. you walk into his shop right now and the overwhelming majority of small bore being worked on are the anschutz.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
everyone on this forum has seen a fraction of my rifles
Meanie...so are you going to show more?
Old 07-10-2011, 05:14 PM

These days you have to shoot a perfect score with a high X count to win at Camp Perry. In fact, you have to learn to shoot Xs and treat 10s like a miss. You definitely can win by using something other than an Anschutz but most people use them due to the adjustable stock and trigger out of the box. These days it is difficult to find gunsmiths that know how to work on small bore competition rifles. If you know one, please advise.