Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2020, 09:36 PM

Default BM 59 questen

I am looking in to building one what I need to know is do you have to have a mill or special tool I don't have a mill that I could use and don't really want to send it off and have it done would like to do it my self I have seen a post on here about building them and on google search I have seen some guys that use dremel tools and grinders. so is it possible to build one without a mill.
Old 08-25-2020, 04:45 AM

I’ve seen guys claim to do it with a Dremel and grinder. You might get lucky and have it work. More than likely you will turn a $450 receiver into a paperweight. I’ve watched dozens of them being done at Shuff’s Parkerizing and I see exactly what has to be done. I can’t believe anyone can do it without a mill and achieve a decent result - or even a functional one. You also need a lathe to make the barrel.
Old 08-25-2020, 02:50 PM

Default Garand ---> BM59 Costly Conversion!

I have considered a Garand to BM59 conversion myself, but it didn't pencil out for me (YMMV). FWIW, here are some considerations for anyone also contemplating such an endeavor.

Currently there are no BM59 barrels available of which I know. The Garand Guy indicates he has some coming in, supposed to be $300 plus $18 shipping. Shuff can make one from a Criterion Garand barrel for $400.

Other parts are in short supply. Currently a lower band C-clip is unobtanium. (If anybody has one up for grabs, let me know! )

In Kaliforniastan, it appears that previously the muzzle brake/flash hider combo devices were perhaps borderline acceptable, but no more. If there is any manufacturer claim for flash suppression, the device is now verboten. The grenade launch capabilities of the tri-compensator and gas cylinder are also a big no-no. The militia is not allowed to have military arms.

Some previous commercially provided receiver alterations appear to have had problems, as attributed to annealing to soften the receiver for machining, followed by re-hardening heat treatment that warped the unit. Shuff doesn't do this, instead he machines the originally produced, as-hardened receiver with carbide tools and no heating ($500). I must agree with the preceding comment that this is definitely not a home do it job, Bubba with a Dremel just ain't gonna make it.

I am still considering a "kinda-BM59" conversion with drop down gas cylinder, but maintaining the original en-bloc clip feed system (hence my interest in the lower band C-clip). For anyone wanting to "go all the way", it's a big ticket, though likely far less than the market price of a real Beretta BM59/62/69. Whichever route you choose, good fortune!
Old 08-25-2020, 03:03 PM

Bridgeport, fixtures and about 10 hours for your first one. 6 hours once you have it down.
Old 08-25-2020, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NChick View Post

Other parts are in short supply. Currently a lower band C-clip is unobtanium. (If anybody has one up for grabs, let me know! )
https://www.standardpartsllc.com/pro...?idproduct=462
Old 08-25-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Thanks, but like the other usual sources, it's currently out of stock.
Old 08-25-2020, 04:12 PM

Woops missied that, sorry. Ill dig around I know I had one at one time.
Old 08-26-2020, 07:31 AM

If you're using a modified Garand barrel, I believe you can use the Garand band instead of the unique BM59 part.
The prints for a BM59 are out there, but even machinists I've talked to said they'd send it to Shuff after seeing the amount of work involved. The Dremel guys were doing it in the days of $100 receivers, that isn't the case any more!

Eli
Old 11-29-2020, 03:16 PM

Concur with the "have Shuff do it". I have a Bridgeport and the carbide tooling. i have completed 6 receivers. You need several sizes of carbide endmills and a slot cutter. The hardened receiver shortens their life considerably. I purchased an endmill grinder to sharpen and reduce the cost (also does HSS, so good for all my endmills). Like a previous poster, each one will take 6 hours minimum as each step requires a different set up and that takes time to get everything just right. That was back when SARCO and Bula Forge sold barrels. I know Bula isn't making any. SARCO is accepting backorders according to their site. I ordered 3 from SARCO a couple of years ago and waited about 6 months for them. Barrels are short chambered so you have to have a .308 chamber reamer to set the headspace during installation. A reamer at last count was about $175.
So, unless you have the mill and the tooling, it is going to get frothy!
Old 11-30-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPW99 View Post
..... I have seen some guys that use dremel tools and grinders. so is it possible to build one without a mill.
Yes it is. It's actually easier than using a mill and doing all the set-ups. Most of the people telling you that you need a mill, obviously don't have as much experience using hand tools as I do.

It's not that big of a deal. Not rocket science either. You just can't be scared of it. Like Tim Parker once said, "You have to act like you have a bucket full of them to work with."

A good quality die grinder and abrasive wheels will get you close, then you can finish with different size and shaped stones in a Foredom tool or pencil grinder, "not a dremel tool."

If you don't have lots of experience with your hands, and a good eye, then yeah, send it off or get a mill.

If you do decide to move forward, I have you a barrel with everything on it and all the parts except a stock set and a few small parts for a BM14 build using M14 mags.