Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2021, 01:16 PM

Default Springfield Armory M1A?

Hello Everyone,

I found this rifle on the rack at a local hole-in-the-wall gunshop. The shop is helping a couple of older gentlemen to sell off their collection of military rifles. This one caught my eye because its been on my "bucket list" of rifles to own before I die.

I admit that know next to nothing about the M1A. I just haven't taken the time yet to do the research. I am not sure of this guns parentage, but my guess is that it is one of the early commercial Springfield Armory rifles that were built using USGI parts. However, that is just a guess. The rifle looks like it has been used in competition at some point because of the hooded aperture and the heavy leather sling (marked MRT). I'm hoping you guys can tell me more about it from the pictures. I would also love to hear about any good books or websites that I can consult in researching the M1A.

If you think the rifle is worthy of a closer look (based on it's parentage and the asking price), what are the basic things I need to check out to ensure that I am not purchasing a lemon? I'm not trying to fast-forward past the research, but I am a newbie looking for a place to start.

Thank you for your time. I'm looking forward to learning more about the M1A and to hear your advice on this rifle.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m8itg7zak...2Mu73djWa?dl=0
Old 06-14-2021, 01:40 PM

In my opinion, I would buy it at that price. It definitely has a GI bolt.
Old 06-14-2021, 01:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

The receiver dates to around 3-95. https://www.m14forum.com/threads/sa-...48/#post-44119
The stock is USGI
It appears that just the aperture is NM and lacking the NM windage
Looks like a SAI Standard

I have 075,XXX from 9-93 and has a HR barrel and TRW bolt and is a Standard. The use of USGI parts was tapering off at this point.....some had more USGI parts than others.
The $1800 price is about the going rate for these.
FWIW

Last edited by Shomway; 06-14-2021 at 02:32 PM.
Old 06-14-2021, 02:24 PM

Shomway is quicker than I...

Id estimate an April 1995 build date. USGI Winchester bolt, USGI stock. If all USGI, probably a fair price but firearm prices are so outrageous right now, it may be a bargain. I think new Bula rifles are around $2,300 now.

Last edited by TLB; 06-14-2021 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-15-2021, 03:49 AM

Is the price firm? Pull back the op rod and see it there are markings on the barrel. If so post photos of them. Any extra mags come with it? It is what M1A collectors call a "Golden Age" gun. The receiver was machined by Mel Smith of Valley Ordnance of Wilkes Barre Pa. Mel machined the receivers from the beginning of production till some where in the early 90 thousand range. He did excellent work. It is one of the good ones. From the wear on the park on the receiver it appears not to have shot much. I doubt you will find another "Golden Age" gun in that condition. If the price is an issue make an fair offer. Its one I would consider for my collection. Nice find.

Last edited by RDS; 06-15-2021 at 04:02 AM.
Old 06-15-2021, 06:47 PM

If you want an M1A as you stated I suggest buying this one. To be honest you could spend how much money driving around, maybe paying to get into gun shows etc.. trying to find one with a lower sticker price but how much did you really save? If the price fits your budget buy it.
Old 06-15-2021, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrm View Post
If you want an M1A as you stated I suggest buying this one. To be honest you could spend how much money driving around, maybe paying to get into gun shows etc.. trying to find one with a lower sticker price but how much did you really save? If the price fits your budget buy it.
I concur. Looks like a nice rifle from what I can see from over here. The Bula rifles ARE $2300.00-ish. You’ve the opportunity to put your hands on the rifle and that is a big plus. Best success!
Old 06-15-2021, 08:47 PM

I think its a good price as well. Im in the market for a new production M1a standard for some service rifle matches and they are going for that on gun broker NIB...but the new ones contain zero USGI parts and in general are not as well made imho.

You can't loose at that price.
Old 06-15-2021, 09:39 PM

I just had a rifle built on a new LRB receiver with GI profile Criterion barrel, USGI parts kit (I bought from Dupage several years ago), and NOS TRW bolt. The total came in north of $2500. Could have been $2800- I don’t really want to remember, honestly. With that in mind, I’d say this rifle at $1800 seems like a good deal.
Old 06-16-2021, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDS View Post
Is the price firm? Pull back the op rod and see it there are markings on the barrel. If so post photos of them. Any extra mags come with it? It is what M1A collectors call a "Golden Age" gun. The receiver was machined by Mel Smith of Valley Ordnance of Wilkes Barre Pa. Mel machined the receivers from the beginning of production till some where in the early 90 thousand range. He did excellent work. It is one of the good ones. From the wear on the park on the receiver it appears not to have shot much. I doubt you will find another "Golden Age" gun in that condition. If the price is an issue make an fair offer. Its one I would consider for my collection. Nice find.
First of all, thank you everyone for the responses. I think I will go back to the shop and get some additional pictures of the barrel markings.

I didn't get to deal with the shop owner the day I was there, only the guy watching the counter, so I'll have to see on the price. I think there was only the one mag that was in the gun. There may have been others as there are pieces-parts of the old guys collections laying about the shop.

Regarding the barrel and gas system, what should I look at in more detail for signs of wear, trouble, or abuse? I'll definitely look at the bore, but I'm not sure what to look at beyond that. Thanks again!