Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2021, 09:24 AM

Default Hunting scope repair

Any recommendations on a vintage hunting scope that needs refurb? Great scope just got some moisture clouding recently... Thanks for any reputable contacts that do this.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:08 AM

I just read the post yesterday from MarkV about placing the scope in a ziplock bag and placing it in uncooked rice . I know it worked on my Cell Phone after dropping it in the sink . Bob
Old 08-03-2021, 11:24 AM

Default Recommend this company

This company refurbished my 1950s Weaver K4: http://www.ironsightinc.com/

They do several brands of older scopes, their prices are excellent and the turn around time is fairly quick.
Old 08-03-2021, 12:55 PM

While you might be able to get the scope to "un-fog", there is probably an underlying problem that caused it to fog up in the first place - like an air leak somewhere. I would suggest that you contact someone who does scope repair for specific advice.

The usual practice these days is to simply get a new model, however, I admire your desire to get your classic scope restored. Best of luck!
Old 08-03-2021, 01:53 PM

On a mule deer hunt in Wyoming, my partner had an old Weaver scope that fogged up after we got to the top of the mountain. One day wasted. For this type of hunt, I would NEVER trust a rice bed drying out process.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:49 PM

Thanks guys yes I think a seal has become brittle & scope needs cleaned, re-nitro'd and and resealed I believe...
Old 08-04-2021, 09:42 AM

The question becomes, how badly do you want to keep THAT scope.

May be much cheaper to just replace it.

Yes, I realize there are times when you are willing to pay the price to keep that ONE. But sometimes, it is just better to move on.
Old 08-04-2021, 05:59 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyrifleman View Post
While you might be able to get the scope to "un-fog", there is probably an underlying problem that caused it to fog up in the first place - like an air leak somewhere. I would suggest that you contact someone who does scope repair for specific advice.

The usual practice these days is to simply get a new model, however, I admire your desire to get your classic scope restored. Best of luck!
Just remember that vintage scopes never contained Nitrogen or any other gas ro combat fogging. Plus the rubber O'rings used back in the day are virtually all cracked or have turned to mush from exposure to cleaning solvents and oil for decades. LOL, I have vintage scopes on several rifles I had for decades or inherited. Every single one of them fogged in severe adverse weather conditions even when almost new. All that a refurbisher will do with a true vintage scope is take it apart, replace the various O'rings, clean the lenses and reassemble. Though less likely, you can bet if you get into monsoon conditions it will still fog up if you do what most people do. Cover it and create a warmer condition inside than outside.
Old 08-04-2021, 07:38 PM

I do not know personally of the quality of work this location provides, but perhaps it will meet your needs.
Vintage Gun Scopes

https://www.vintagegunscopes.com/scopeservices
Old 08-07-2021, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post
I do not know personally of the quality of work this location provides, but perhaps it will meet your needs.
Vintage Gun Scopes

https://www.vintagegunscopes.com/scopeservices
Good folks to deal with. I sent in an old Weaver 3-9 that would not change power. After disassembly and inspection, VGS determined that the power erector cell was shot, After discussion VGS and I determined that it would not be cost effective to repair. They had the same model in inventory that had been refurbed, so I traded my old one in on it. They allowed a nice core charge (close to what I had in the scope to start with) on my old one and applied what I had already spent on diagnostics. Kept me informed on what was going on.

Be aware: Unless your old scope has some sentimental value or you need it to compliment a vintage rifle (my situation), you my be better off buying a new one both from a cost and reliability standpoint.