Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Talladega Marksmanship Park
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2022, 03:24 PM

Default 1903A3 Drill Rifles

Been 6 months or so since I have made it out to TMP, for those who have visited recently has there been any 1903A3 drill rifles for sale?

Looks like they are regularly available at North Store so hoping part of that stash starts finding its way to TMP.
Old 08-05-2022, 05:43 PM

I have not seen a bolt action rifle at the TMP for probably a year, apart from the display model behind the counter. I wish I had bought a 1917 when they were on the racks last year.
Old 08-05-2022, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adanac View Post
I have not seen a bolt action rifle at the TMP for probably a year, apart from the display model behind the counter. I wish I had bought a 1917 when they were on the racks last year.
I'm so glad I got my service grade 1917 Remington last year... since that day I can't remember the last time 1917 or 1903A3 available.
Old 08-06-2022, 12:42 PM

North store definitely had them but they looked really rough. What do you do with drill rifles? Was trying to figure out the allure. Wish some of the Garand drill rifles weren't welded, looked like some low serial numbers with decent receivers.
Old 08-06-2022, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH2103 View Post
What do you do with drill rifles?
Reactivate them back to functional rifles. Tons of threads on here on the topic.

This gives the general idea: https://www.ktgunsmith.com/03A3.htm
Old 08-06-2022, 05:46 PM

Kind of what I guessed but I remember reading some debate over damage to heat treating. That article makes me want to purchase a drill rifle now.

Last edited by MH2103; 08-06-2022 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-28-2022, 12:03 PM

I reactivated a M1903a3 Drill Rifle I purchased from the North Store, around 2013. Bought the new barrel from CMP, bolt body from Sarco.

I have shot Bronze and Silver with it in Springfield matches with it.

I may have it drilled & tapped for a scope to shoot in vintage sniper ( guilt free! because the receiver has the mag cut off weld scar, so it's not collectable.)

You may find a Drill Receiver for sale online.

It's a low cost way to get a M1903a3. Worked for me.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson to Peter Carr, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler, USMC. He knew war and was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. You can find it online.
Old 09-28-2022, 12:21 PM

I bought one of the chrome 1903a3 at a good price, shoots great but a bit showy for my liking. Was considering building off a drill receiver for a decent shooter. A lot of the north store drill rifles looked really rough with welds, maybe I missed good ones.
Old 09-28-2022, 02:31 PM

I'd be curious to see where else you can get a drill rifle receiver right now.

I just received a couple from Dupage and they are now out of stock.

I'm familiar with a forum member who had a few, but his had some aggressive welding and I no longer have access to the mill I would need to do a decent cleanup job.
Old 09-28-2022, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH2103 View Post
Kind of what I guessed but I remember reading some debate over damage to heat treating. That article makes me want to purchase a drill rifle now.
There will always be debate over drill rifles. My suggestion is to take it like other internet debate; seek independent verification. Many people have made some great shooters and display only guns out of these, but I am sure there are some that have been rendered unsafe; I haven't come across any yet (but I have seen many with damage much too extensive for me to consider, or recommend them for much other than parts salvage). If you value your labor at $0 you can just about break even, so reactivating them for profit is a challenge.
But many find them to be satisfying to restore, and others just clean them up and hang them to look at. I have 3 in various stages of work.

I was in the SS a few years ago and they pushed out a shopping cart with 10 or so. I and a few others started picking through them, I selected one (a nice looking LN 1903) and was headed to the counter and some old geezer walked by and said "you don't want to buy a drill rifle". I thanked him and continued on my business. He made a 2nd fly by and said, louder, "those are no good for anything"; again I thanked him and continued on.
His 3rd assault was about the same; this time I stopped, followed him to his U-turn area and explained I heard him, I respected his opinion and suggested he consider his mission complete. He got a bit flustered and said maybe he should mind his own business (you think?) and went to advise someone else on their life choices.
Only time I ever found someone less than polite and helpful in the SS, but it was certainly entertaining, and for the others in the store as well.
I think that one cost me $150, the stock was cracked if I recall.....