Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2022, 12:28 PM

Default .920 bull barrel for .22 Sporter match?

I have used a 10/22 with the original barrel, fitted with a revolver rear sight in the Open sight category. It sort-of works. I was just looking at the CMP .22 Sporter rules, and while they still require sporting configuration , I do not see mention of a ban on "Bull" barrels.

Tac Sol makes a steel lined aluminum bull barrel that appears to be lighter than the factory barrel, and it comes with open sights. Can I now use this in .22 Sporter Open sight class?
Old 08-07-2022, 10:05 PM

I have used a .920 barrel and Hogue overmoulded stock on my 10-22 for years in CMP RF (optical sight class) sporter. It makes weight and never any issue at inspection. Ruger makes or made a "squirrel" 10-22 with a heavy barrel--definantly a sporter. I have observed that almost any decent .22 is accurate enough for the RF sporter match. I would not want to show up with anything exotic unless it was previously cleared. Good Shooting....... Addendum......I have one of the Ruger with the thin steel barrel inside a big composite tube. It does not shoot very well..... My preference for the open sight class is a long barreled stainless 10-22, for the increased sight radius. I put a muzzle loader rear sight and plain blade front on It--no complaints here.

Last edited by ceresco; 08-07-2022 at 10:15 PM.
Old 08-08-2022, 07:03 AM

I used the Tactical solutions aluminum sleeved barrel at CMP’s Arizona Games. Mine has a Fajen laminated stock and scope and still makes weight.