Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2020, 07:55 PM

Default Meaning of Numbers on Bayonet Handguard?

Hi - Is there a definitive reason why some Garand bayonets have numbers on the handguard and other do not? Do numbers on the Garand bayonet handguard indicate the bayonet has been used by a foreign government?
Old 09-07-2020, 08:04 PM

Many of the Greek return bayonets that the CMP sold had markings as you describe.

http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/bayo_points_40.htm

Last edited by T38Carbine; 09-07-2020 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-07-2020, 09:10 PM

Default Did Anyone Other than The Greeks put Numbers on The Guard?

Thanks - Great article. Safe to say that all Garand bayonets with numbers on the guard are returns from foreign governments?
Old 09-07-2020, 09:25 PM

I seem to remember someone saying that they or their father was involved with cutting down bayonets to 10”, and as a part of that process stamped numbers into the hand guard. Wish I could remember more details so I could find the post.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeroub View Post
I seem to remember someone saying that they or their father was involved with cutting down bayonets to 10, and as a part of that process stamped numbers into the hand guard. Wish I could remember more details so I could find the post.
The cut-downs were stamped with letters (company I.D.) to indicate which contractor did the modification work. Not sure about any stamped numbers associated with the rework. The Greeks definitely stamped numbers on the handguards of many of their bayonets.

Last edited by Tester19; 09-08-2020 at 07:36 AM.
Old 09-08-2020, 11:21 AM

Default Did the US Put Numbers on the Garand Bayonet Guard?

Thanks for the responses. Is it safe to assume that any Garand bayonet with Numbers on the guard had those numbers put there by a foreign country?
Old 09-08-2020, 02:45 PM

You know what they say when you a$$-u-me. But it’s a pretty safe bet!
Old 09-08-2020, 08:19 PM

The picture in the link is of three bayonets I have. The one on the left is the typical black finish on Greek returns with a number stamped on the guard. The other two have a grayish finish with numbers on the guard. Note the difference in the fonts used for the numbers. The right two are both cut-down with the Oneida one rebuilt by Oneida. Are they all three Greek returns, or only the one on the left?

Seems I read somewhere that they would have numbers placed on them when they were reworked - but, I may have misremembered that fact.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...ht3N2V8woeuaqC
Old 09-08-2020, 10:39 PM

Default Thanks - Do We Know Of Any US Reason to Put Numbers on the Guard?

Thank you for your responses. If I see a Garand bayonet for sale and it has numbers on the guard, is that a definitive indication that it was used/returned/lent to/etc a foreign government? I am seeking a 'rule of thumb' (if you will) that I can use when making a decision to purchase a Garand bayonet.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:44 AM

In the years before Imports of US Garand Bayonets were common, you NEVER saw numbers on the handguards - every GI bring back, Surplus Store, etc., they were never numbered like the Greek ones we currently see. The US .mil did not keep track of bayonets by serial, at least in modern times. CC