Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZvenoMan
    • May 2011

Those of you old enough to remember duffel cuts may understand this. In college I worked for a surplus dealer and German arms exert. All I knew was ARs and 10/22s, so being such an expert (!) I asked why anyone would want a Mauser/1903 with a duffel cut. He explained that had they not been so cut they wouldn't be here at all. So in some way there were a part of the history of that firearm, and that type (WWII Mauser, etc) of firearm.
    I have always looked at import marks the same; without them the item would not be in my hands, so I accept it as it is. Of course some import marks are more discreet than others, but much has to do with the local BATFE guy approving the importer's marking; each may have their opinion on it. I too have heard the "Blue Sky Woes"; so if I saw one I would simply inspect the bore to make sure it wasn't damaged and then move on with no further concern. Kind of like inspecting any milsurp.

Yeah, I hear all the other old timers say "I will pay less for one with the mark as the same one without". Whatever; I have been collecting milsurps 30+ years and not yet have I had that as a choice.

They are simply a part of the hobby, understand it and make your own decision.
    All of my non-US milsurps (so currently 40 or so?) have import marks. I value them based on the current market. When selling (yeah, not often), trading I will negotiate like anyone else. Should someone say "I'll pay xxx but take $50 off for the import mark" then to me the sale is simply off.

In any of my sales/trade negotiations I have never, not even once, had import marks come up (other than maybe someone asking me where it was). It is part of the item.
    True, US milsurps only have them for non-CMP (and non-bringback) items; that simply indicates one path it made it to you.
    I generally see them brought up for criticism by know it alls who are not involved in any sales transaction. Much like those wanting to know the MW/TE on rifles you are not trading/selling. Something to talk smack about by those with little else enjoyable to do!

Just my sarcastic opinions of course; feel free to disagree :-)

I have had import marked Garands; they were a good deal for me at the time so no issues buying them, and no complaints. While none of my current USGI items have import marks, should some present themselves to me and I have a need/desire for that item I will in no way hesitate because of the import mark. I suspect many/most actual buyers would do the same.
    Will some refuse to buy, or demand to pay less; I have no doubt they exist but whatever.
    JH
    Zvenoman

Comment

• Gunner2010
      • May 2010

I look at import marks the same way that I do rebuild etchings on a Garand receiver leg. Neither will ever be easy to correct and make the rifle as it came from the factory. Both of them will always be "mixmasters" to me. I've also heard or guys scratching O-66 on the heel of a Garand to make them USMC rebuilds.

Comment

I much prefer non-import marked guns.
        But I do have one M1 Carbine that is discreetly import marked on the barrel. It's a very early serialed Irwin-Pedersen with the Ord Bomb stamped upon the receiver bevel. (an Israeli issued piece.)
        A mix master, but I'm happy to have it import marked or not.

Comment

• Flmosinman124
          • Mar 2021

Collectors do not like import marks. Especially indiscreet ones.

Comment

• kreuzlover
            • Oct 2020

I have an Arlington import, you really have to look closely to see their marking. It is a Winchester, think the serial number on receiver makes it 1944. It has a Winchester flat bolt, Winchester barrel, sights and trigger group is mix-master. Slide is made by Rockola. It has a stock with M2 cutout in left side. I paid 800.00 for it at Cabelas about 7 years ago. Anyone have a good idea of what it's worth today?

Comment

• GotSnlB28
              • Oct 2010

Originally posted by kreuzlover View Post
              I have an Arlington import, you really have to look closely to see their marking. It is a Winchester, think the serial number on receiver makes it 1944. It has a Winchester flat bolt, Winchester barrel, sights and trigger group is mix-master. Slide is made by Rockola. It has a stock with M2 cutout in left side. I paid 800.00 for it at Cabelas about 7 years ago. Anyone have a good idea of what it's worth today?
              Lots of variability given parts and condition, check completed auctions on GunBroker.com for comparison. Should be north of 1K in the current market.

Comment

Working...
              X