Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2022, 04:37 PM

Default M44US Magazine Feeding?

Is it possible to get a high number Mossberg 44US to feed? The low numbered ones have an extension on the barrel above the chamber that prevents noses going too high. High numbered ones do not have the extension that fits the bolt top slot. Bullet noses often go high.

No amount of tweaking a Havlin magazine seems to make it work. Including disassembling it to turn the spring 180 degrees to raise the rim instead of forcing the nose high. Did not care if mag was wrecked or not. Just exploring feeding. Folded all the folds back properly. Minimally better. Those magazines are made out of the softest metal Iíve ever seen. The last 2-3 rounds feed. 4 sometimes. 5 rarely.

Do the GPC magazines work? They claim to make their own. Or are they the same soft junk Havlin sells?

Last edited by .Steve.; 10-11-2022 at 09:13 PM.
Old 10-12-2022, 07:19 AM

Hello Steve,

Did you try other brands of ammo and / or another mag?

I have one firearm that nothing other then round nose solids run in. While the same model will run like a clock. I just live with it.
You might want to check the extractors for smooth operation. If bent or burred, they might be altering the angle of the entrance of the bullet into the chamber.
You may want to check over on Rimfire Central, as the people there seem to be totally devoted to Rimfire firearms. As you know the people here are GREAT too! I hope others make a post.

Good Luck,
broom
Old 10-12-2022, 11:57 AM

Do the Havlin crowd have any points on this? In my experience they know a whole lot of stuff about the M44s.
Old 10-12-2022, 02:35 PM

Hello Again . Steve.

captaincalc has good point there! Havlin or the shooters that use their products more then I do is a great place to start!

I have four of their mags for my M-44 and they run like a clock. Other then a few extra machine marks they were all perfect on size and operation . Never noticed any problem with hardness of the steel.
Maybe they changed contractors or you have one that was dropped or missed the adjustment station.
Give them a call they are VERY helpful people! I met them at a few shows years ago!

Good Luck,
broom
Old 10-12-2022, 05:30 PM

Try again. Technical detail in manufacturing difference question. Not ammo shape. Cci StdVel and Fed 711B and Eley Club all jump up.

With four other available M44US in my shooting friends group, all four 1943 made in the 10X,xxx serial range, all four work with their magazines.

My stupid collector quality 16X,xxx rifle will not work with any of those magazines nor with mine from Havlin.

The physical difference is the 1/4” barrel extension above the chamber that keeps the noses down and then the extension enters the top slot in the bolt. That is what the top bolt slot is for.

The last batch of M44US deleted the extension in 1945. Serial numbers in the 160,000 range.

My question is “Does anyone have a high number rifle without the Barrel extension that actually magazine feeds?” If so, how and why and with what magazine ?
Old 10-12-2022, 06:39 PM

A photo of that "slot" would be helpful. I have both "high" and "low" numeralled 44s and from the sounds of the arguments here, it doesn't seem worth my while to bother digging them out to examine them. Return the mag(s) to Havlin sounds to be your best option in my eyes.
Old 10-12-2022, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincalc View Post
….. I have both "high" and "low" numeralled 44s and from the sounds of the arguments here, it doesn't seem worth my while to bother digging them out to examine them…..
Thanks.

Discussion of breeching features by manufacturing batch seems not an argument, but what “is” and how does it work properly.

IF someone actually has a 152,xxx to 17x,xxx 44US US Property Marked rifle, without the little barrel extension above the chamber that holds the bullet nose down in the magazine and then enters the top slot of 44US bolts as they close THAT FUNCTIONS FROM THE MAGAZINE, I am trying to ask what the magazine is. Original Mossberg, Havlin’s whatevers, or GPC?

Last edited by .Steve.; 10-12-2022 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10-13-2022, 06:58 AM

Quote:
With four other available M44US in my shooting friends group, all four 1943 made in the 10X,xxx serial range, all four work with their magazines.
My stupid collector quality 16X,xxx rifle will not work with any of those magazines nor with mine from Havlin.

Hi Steve,

Apparently it's a rifle issue.

You might want to check in at the rimfire website, mentioned above.
Very sorry no one here can help you out.

Good Luck,
broom
Old 10-13-2022, 07:33 AM

Understood no info.

The rifle issue is that Mossberg simplified/cheapened the design to manufacture in the last batches made.

The barrel extension above the chamber that prevented bullet noses from going high was deleted. The little feed ramp under the chamber was deleted. Rather than guides to prevent high and low feeds, the magazine is the only guide. The Mossberg design was never intended to work absent the two feed guides.

The four early rifles I looked at each have both guides, high and low. This miscreant one of mine is just a flat faced milled breech end of the barrel with neither guide.

I scanned the entire smallbore forum backwards last night finding many M44US feed/magazine issue posts, random fixes, and none addressing the cheapened design.

This last design is the ones that were never used, look beautiful, and I am thinking this is why the Army never issued any of them. Few people shot them after being sold.

The earlier ones worked. The pretty ones in the last batch are problematic.
Old 11-21-2022, 04:31 PM

3. Under Marxism, it's like being in a dark room and looking for a black cat that isn't there, and the State announces, "We found it!"