Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2022, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilki View Post
Here is the FOIA for 883675.

This letter is in response to your Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request dated
October 29, 2022, reference number AMC FOIA # FP-23-001941/FA-23-0131. The
request is for ownership history on a M1911A1, Caliber .45, Pistol serial number
The following Information was found in the Department of Defense (DoD) Small
Arms/Light Weapons Registry for a M1911A1, Caliber .45, Pistol NSN: 1005-00-726-
5655, Serial Number 883675. The records for this weapon are listed below in
chronological order:
1. 10 August 2010 - Naval Surface Warfare Center (NSWC)-Crane, Crane, Indiana
received the weapon from Anniston Munitions Center, Anniston, Alabama.
2. 06 March 2011, 03 December 2011, 19 January 2013, 07 March 2015, 01 May
2016, 05 March 2017, 04 June 2017, 31 March 2019, 26 April 2020, and 25 April
2021 - Army General Supply (Logistics Modernization Program (LMP) Stock
Records), Anniston, Alabama performed reconciliations on the weapon.

I am currently waiting for responses from the Navy and NSWC-Crane. I will share what I get.

Wilki
Are you going too get a Colt letter too see where it was shipped too originally?
Old 11-29-2022, 08:51 AM

Quote:
I received service grade Colt frame 883675 with a post 1943 un-numbered slide. I too am very happy with the condition and don't feel the need to try and match the slide. Even if I did want to match it wouldn't fix the replacement Safety, MS housing and barrel. I feel like I am in this pistol deep enough.

As a side note the pistol was tagged as a Ithaca frame but as soon as I looked at it I saw the S/N font, GHD inspecter stamp and the G on the top of the frame I knew it was one of the pistols that Colt duplicated the S/N on in 1943.

Wilki
Getting those other parts wouldn't be hard, you can do it over time. Finding the matching slide is like winning the lotto.
Old 11-29-2022, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McGrath View Post
Are you going too get a Colt letter too see where it was shipped too originally?
Not at this time. I did get a SRS on it from thebearpack. This is my request and his response.

Quote:
I just picked up my SG Ithaca/Colt and was overjoyed to discover it was a Colt/Colt. The serial number is 883675. The FFL got it on Tuesday and he sent me some pictures since I wouldn't be able to pick it up until today. I kept staring at the pictures thinking that SN looks like a Colt because of the angle and spacing. I was so happy today when I flipped it over and and saw G.H.D. and then found the "G" on the frame next to the disconnector. I am preparing to send in a F.O.I.A request but any information that you can find will be greatly appreciated.

Wilki
This one shipped to Springfield between February 3 and February 24, 1943. In the SRS list, 883634 was with the US Navy in NYC on 03/23/44.
End Quote

I think that all the Colt letter would do is confirm it went to the Springfield Armory.

Last edited by wilki; 11-29-2022 at 09:23 AM.
Old 11-29-2022, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tothemax View Post
Getting those other parts wouldn't be hard, you can do it over time. Finding the matching slide is like winning the lotto.
I know but it sounds like the slide owner is happy with his pistol and I am happy with mine. If we lived close to each other maybe I would pursue it with him. If we could inspect each others pistols I am sure we would both be more willing to consider as both our slides would make the other's pistol more correct. The fear is that one of us would end up with a pistol that was not as nice as the one they started with. Perhaps if he decides to sell his someday he will reach out.

I plan to send him copies of my FOIA responses so he has the info for his slide.

Wilki
Old 11-30-2022, 02:55 AM

Great historical info...thanks!! Your sentiments match mine as well.
Keep on enjoying!!
Bruce
Old 11-30-2022, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHillman View Post
Great historical info...thanks!! Your sentiments match mine as well.
Keep on enjoying!!
Bruce
If you PM me your email address I will send you PDF's of the FOIA responses. I am still waiting on one from the Navy and one from NSWC, Crane.

Tom
Old 11-30-2022, 05:28 PM

I was lucky enough to get a Colt service grade in round 2. Frame is Jul '43 and slide, serial # stamped, later 1943 but not matching. It would be interesting to find the matches but I'm pretty happy with what I received!