Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2022, 06:43 AM

Some guy obviously more interested in function than form.
Old 12-04-2022, 06:51 AM

http://forums.thecmp.org/member.php?u=5134
Old 12-04-2022, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmg4 View Post
I will happilly give it away to anyone who disagrees if they connect me with a reputable seller.
I don’t know anyone that has a replacement available right now but I woild be willing to buy it from you. PM me.

GuapoPogi
Old 12-04-2022, 10:04 AM

It's hard to tell from your Imgur link whether it's an USGI aperture or a crude attempt by Bubba as you think. Clearly, no matter what it looks awful, and that's coming from someone that has and has had some carbines with notched type one rear sights. The only other thing I'll add is that once you start messing with the roll pin from a type one sight, it becomes harder to keep it in place if you intend to shoot it. Good luck with your quest.
Old 12-04-2022, 11:57 AM

I was expecting a lot worse before i saw the photos. There is a good level of skill that was involved in this regardless or who did it. I also think there's a decent chance that this was a GI field modification.

If you get a correct flip for it, it's always just going to be a restoration. Keeping it like it is at least preserves the slight chance it's an original bringback that has a history with that sight. I know it stings to look at now, but that might wear off in time. The entire carbine as a whole is still stunning and rare based on it's correct configuration.
Old 12-04-2022, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Dang,

The base is not staked at all; it's been whacked on the sides with a cold chisel, or possibly someone's missing tooth.

That's how the early rear sights were staked at the factory. Are there any markings on the base?

Last edited by bubb2; 12-04-2022 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-04-2022, 05:01 PM

Here’s the fun part: if it does turn out to be a GI alteration, you’d be altering an original to make it not original. And: that GI might have had a good reason to alter it when bullets came flying his way. Look before you leap.
Old 12-04-2022, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincalc View Post
Here’s the fun part: if it does turn out to be a GI alteration, you’d be altering an original to make it not original. And: that GI might have had a good reason to alter it when bullets came flying his way. Look before you leap.
The peep sight sucked at night. Would be a shame to alter a real battle weapon from a winter battle (when it's dark more than it's light) like the Battle of the Bulge. But it's his gun, whatever floats his boat.
Old 12-04-2022, 07:52 PM

"Are there any markings on the base?"

I can see no staking marks of any kind on the receiver; only the marks on the sides of the base of the sight, as shown in the images.

If the flipper is a battlefield modification, then why is there no sign of the countersink on the front surface of either aperture?
Old 12-04-2022, 09:22 PM

Quote:
"Are there any markings on the base?"

I can see no staking marks of any kind on the receiver; only the marks on the sides of the base of the sight, as shown in the images.

If the flipper is a battlefield modification, then why is there no sign of the countersink on the front surface of either aperture?
So there are no letters stamped on either side of the sights base? Often times these letters end up obscured due to being beat up by someone trying to correct windage. But it appears the chisel marks in the receiver are original from the factory and the sight has not been moved left or right.
Your observation that the flipper is not original to the gun does not mean Bubba was not a WW2 GI.