Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-29-2021, 09:19 AM
Mountain Mountain is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 110
Default Questions re. Rem 03A3 Fresh Off the TMP Rack

Hi All-

While on my way to visit family I stopped by the TMP Store to shop for a 1903A3 and possibly a HRA SG M1. No luck for the HRA but there were some nice 03A3's and M1917's. I grabbed a Remington 3.6M with a bright and sharp looking 1-1 bore. I'm a CMP GSMM match fanatic and shoot my SRS verified '03 NM 2-3 times a year in matches, so this 03A3 is to cover most of my Springfield match duty in order to reserve the NM for special occasions.

Since I'm more of a match shooter than collector, I thought I'd reach out to the forum for any history and details you might know about this particular rifles origin and condition. Here are some links to pics:

https://i.imgur.com/bgQ6Pl8.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/0WU4v4e.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ptFba7L.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Oz21FZc.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Bb4m5YP.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/MC2FBoF.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/EPSh897.jpg

Some details about the rifle and my questions:

-3.6M receiver, has 4/43 barrel. At least would be correct, and could be original barrel?
-All stamped parts, mag cut off, safety switch, etc. stamped 'R'.
-The bolt is marked NS, no periods. There are no other marks evident, certainly no 'R'. I assume a replacement- maybe a fake? Wear spots certainly appear to be NS material. Not sure why there would be a faked NS bolt on a CMP 03A3.
-Grip has the common FJA and crossed cannon stamps. It has a light striked circle-P and a deeper circle-P. In front of those are what appear to be a '0' and a 'W'.
-Bottom of stock stamped in circles a 5, 6, 20, and 41 or 42. Stamped in diamond an 8, and in a square a 3. There is a triangle stamp with no number that I can see. Does this indicate a Remington stock?
-There is an 8 electro-penciled on the floor plate and a 3 electro-penciled on the cocking piece cover (do I have the right part described?)
-There is quite a gap carved out behind the rear receiver lug. Not begging for problems if I shoot in this stock?
-Any parts such as the receiver appear to have original finish?

My general take on this rifle is that it is the usual arsenal / depot rebuild with correct parts excepting possibly the bolt. I can't tell if the bolt fake NS or not, I'd know better maybe once I get home and can compare against my real NS on the National Match. The stock may be a Remington and has been with the rifle at least since the last rebuild? Anyway, once I check it out including headspace I plan to shoot it in Springfield matches. If accuracy lacks, I may re-barrel (I'll keep original) and might put it in a C-stock.

Many thanks in advance for your comments.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-29-2021, 09:37 AM
rubicon762 rubicon762 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Greater Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 445
Default

I think it is impossible for there to be a "fake" part on the rifle you purchased from the CMP.

With that 1/1 barrel, I think you will do very well in a match.
__________________
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson to Peter Carr, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He knew war,and was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. You can find it online.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-29-2021, 10:01 AM
JimF JimF is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,378
Default

With the diamond-enclosed 8, I believe you have a Smith-Corona stock.
__________________
--Jim
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-29-2021, 10:45 AM
ceresco ceresco is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 8,020
Default

Looks like you did well. The gap is behind the receiver tang. It is unusually large, but I do not see any problem. I would take a good look for cracks in the area immediately behind the front guard screw/recoil lug and if OK--fire away. Good Shooting.....
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-29-2021, 11:08 AM
Mountain Mountain is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 110
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon762 View Post
I think it is impossible for there to be a "fake" part on the rifle you purchased from the CMP.

With that 1/1 barrel, I think you will do very well in a match.
Thanks! I would imagine it would be odd to have a faked NS on a CMP rifle- what would be the point? If in private hands, sure. As long as it shoots well, I'm happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
With the diamond-enclosed 8, I believe you have a Smith-Corona stock.
Thanks- someone had mentioned the triangle indicated Remington, but I have no idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
Looks like you did well. The gap is behind the receiver tang. It is unusually large, but I do not see any problem. I would take a good look for cracks in the area immediately behind the front guard screw/recoil lug and if OK--fire away. Good Shooting.....
Thank you, sir! I will check that out this evening. I had heard of making some clearance behind the tang but yeah- that's quite a gap. Once I return from my road trip I'll try my usual Springfield load- 46.5 grains of Varget pushing 168 SMK's or same weight Nosler CC blems.

Last edited by Big_Red; 03-31-2021 at 03:27 AM. Reason: Combine consecutive posts
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-29-2021, 12:09 PM
John Beard John Beard is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Posts: 3,511
Default

Your rifle was overhauled by Remington Arms at the end of WWII, refinished, and re-assembled from mixed parts. As another has noted, the stock is from a Smith-Corona rifle and the bolt was made by Springfield Armory.

Thanks for your patronage!

J.B.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-29-2021, 02:52 PM
Mountain Mountain is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 110
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Beard View Post
Your rifle was overhauled by Remington Arms at the end of WWII, refinished, and re-assembled from mixed parts. As another has noted, the stock is from a Smith-Corona rifle and the bolt was made by Springfield Armory.

Thanks for your patronage!

J.B.
Thanks very much, Mr. Beard. Always a pleasure to support promotion of marksmanship via purchasing nice rifles at a discount. Sure was nice to have a selection of 03A3's to pick from. Not too long ago I hadn't expected to see any more for sale via CMP. Let's see if I can hold the 10-ring.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-29-2021, 10:40 PM
jason60chev jason60chev is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 403
Default

I have an SRS Documented National Match 1903A1. The rifle is dated 1932, but looks like it wasn't sold until 1934. Serial 1,403,XXX SA 6-32 Barrel. I have only fired 10 rounds through it. Pretty much a safe queen. I don't want to risk messing the stock up, with use. Even being careful, stuff happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
Hi All-

While on my way to visit family I stopped by the TMP Store to shop for a 1903A3 and possibly a HRA SG M1. No luck for the HRA but there were some nice 03A3's and M1917's. I grabbed a Remington 3.6M with a bright and sharp looking 1-1 bore. I'm a CMP GSMM match fanatic and shoot my SRS verified '03 NM 2-3 times a year in matches, so this 03A3 is to cover most of my Springfield match duty in order to reserve the NM for special occasions.

Since I'm more of a match shooter than collector, I thought I'd reach out to the forum for any history and details you might know about this particular rifles origin and condition. Here are some links to pics:

https://i.imgur.com/bgQ6Pl8.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/0WU4v4e.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ptFba7L.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Oz21FZc.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Bb4m5YP.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/MC2FBoF.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/EPSh897.jpg

Some details about the rifle and my questions:

-3.6M receiver, has 4/43 barrel. At least would be correct, and could be original barrel?
-All stamped parts, mag cut off, safety switch, etc. stamped 'R'.
-The bolt is marked NS, no periods. There are no other marks evident, certainly no 'R'. I assume a replacement- maybe a fake? Wear spots certainly appear to be NS material. Not sure why there would be a faked NS bolt on a CMP 03A3.
-Grip has the common FJA and crossed cannon stamps. It has a light striked circle-P and a deeper circle-P. In front of those are what appear to be a '0' and a 'W'.
-Bottom of stock stamped in circles a 5, 6, 20, and 41 or 42. Stamped in diamond an 8, and in a square a 3. There is a triangle stamp with no number that I can see. Does this indicate a Remington stock?
-There is an 8 electro-penciled on the floor plate and a 3 electro-penciled on the cocking piece cover (do I have the right part described?)
-There is quite a gap carved out behind the rear receiver lug. Not begging for problems if I shoot in this stock?
-Any parts such as the receiver appear to have original finish?

My general take on this rifle is that it is the usual arsenal / depot rebuild with correct parts excepting possibly the bolt. I can't tell if the bolt fake NS or not, I'd know better maybe once I get home and can compare against my real NS on the National Match. The stock may be a Remington and has been with the rifle at least since the last rebuild? Anyway, once I check it out including headspace I plan to shoot it in Springfield matches. If accuracy lacks, I may re-barrel (I'll keep original) and might put it in a C-stock.

Many thanks in advance for your comments.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-30-2021, 04:25 PM
Mountain Mountain is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 110
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason60chev View Post
I have an SRS Documented National Match 1903A1. The rifle is dated 1932, but looks like it wasn't sold until 1934. Serial 1,403,XXX SA 6-32 Barrel. I have only fired 10 rounds through it. Pretty much a safe queen. I don't want to risk messing the stock up, with use. Even being careful, stuff happens.
Mine was sold to the Connecticut Adjutant General in 1933 and I'll assume saw some use for the state rifle team. At some point it was re-barreled with a '38 star gauge barrel, possibly at the Springfield Armory. Anyway, it's certainly history worth preserving but not an all original museum piece requiring safe queen status. From the bench I've shot multiple 1-1/8" 5-shot groups with it at 100 yards, and that's just about my iron sight limit for groups with any rifle. I have had a couple nice scores in matches with it- a 283/300 and a 285/300.

I'll still shoot it in matches but hope to get the 03A3 shooting well enough to cover most of the matches.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-30-2021, 05:20 PM
jason60chev jason60chev is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 403
Default

I cannot shoot a group like that....even with a scope. I no longer really try. My job, overseas, keeps me so out of practice, I figure if i can keep it in the 8 ring at 200 yrds, I'll be adequate. Haven't fired a match in 11 years.
My M1903A1 NM was sold to a gentleman in Omaha, Neb.I bought it from a shop near Salt Lake City, via Gun Broker in 2009. I conacted SRS for a serial number search and it got the hit. I didn;t tell the seller that. When I asked them how they acquired the rifle, all they told me was that a man came in, saying that he didn;t want it. Did a little genealogy research and found that one of the orignal purchasers sons had located to a town near SLC. It may have been him, who sold it. My receiver has been drilled/taped for a lYman receiver sight, but still has the plugs. Sight never mounted. Rifle looks pristine, like it was rarely used. The Piece de' Resistance of my 1903 Springfield collection.

https://imgur.com/a/oz3zKbp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
Mine was sold to the Connecticut Adjutant General in 1933 and I'll assume saw some use for the state rifle team. At some point it was re-barreled with a '38 star gauge barrel, possibly at the Springfield Armory. Anyway, it's certainly history worth preserving but not an all original museum piece requiring safe queen status. From the bench I've shot multiple 1-1/8" 5-shot groups with it at 100 yards, and that's just about my iron sight limit for groups with any rifle. I have had a couple nice scores in matches with it- a 283/300 and a 285/300.

I'll still shoot it in matches but hope to get the 03A3 shooting well enough to cover most of the matches.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:48 AM.