Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2021, 09:39 AM

Default Classic Firearms and the importers

Does anyone have an opinion about them? I can find both good and bad things on the web, but the consensus seems to be that they are somewhat overpriced, and very liberal in their grading---Classic in particular.
Old 04-28-2021, 10:26 AM

I've bought a few guns from classic, they ranged from "better than described" to "shouldn't have been shipped". I buy from classic if the price is good and I am willing to accept a rifle/pistol without seeing it first. Where they bring the guns in from varies as does the quality. I think you need to bring up a specific rifle/importer to get input. Anything out of Ethopia seems to be of mediocre quality (both condition and function, to a lesser extent). But the Carcano I bought recently (from the Italian imports) is in good, functional shape.

Classic seems to have great advertising and marketing, thus they get top dollar for desirable firearms that they buy and sell in low quantities. Some of the standard guns they get by the thousands are priced reasonably.
Old 04-28-2021, 10:46 AM

I purchased a few of their Italian Police Beretta 92S's for ~$300 ea. IIRC.
Condition varied as ws expected, so I sold off the lesser ones and kept the best - I make my own luck, lol.
Old 04-29-2021, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Ol' Boy View Post
I've bought a few guns from classic, they ranged from "better than described" to "shouldn't have been shipped". I buy from classic if the price is good and I am willing to accept a rifle/pistol without seeing it first. Where they bring the guns in from varies as does the quality. I think you need to bring up a specific rifle/importer to get input. Anything out of Ethopia seems to be of mediocre quality (both condition and function, to a lesser extent). But the Carcano I bought recently (from the Italian imports) is in good, functional shape.

Classic seems to have great advertising and marketing, thus they get top dollar for desirable firearms that they buy and sell in low quantities. Some of the standard guns they get by the thousands are priced reasonably.
+1 to this. Classic now reminds me of a large car dealership. Flashy advertising and videos exaggerating conditions and values with high prices on small batch surplus hoping to get people to buy on emotion. My last purchase with them was also a TS Carcano and I was happy. I did wait for a sale and tempered my expectations. My experience with customer service has been hit and miss.
Old 04-29-2021, 08:35 AM

Bought twice from Classic. Both were Beretta pistols on two different occasions. Paid for the excellent condition and received pistols with a significant amount of rust on both. Their customer service was very lacking. I'm done with buys from them.
Old 04-29-2021, 05:22 PM

Sounds like they're dicey to do business with at best--especially for a pig in a poke without looking at the merchandise. At least with CMP you know you're getting something at a slight discount (10%-15% usually, but some times 20%-25%) to the auction places like GB. And CMP papers mean something down the road too.