Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2022, 02:41 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to VinnAY
Default Learn about flash suppressor alignment HERE

I learned the hard way I guess, never thought that this was a "thing" it goes on and you wouldn't think that you can do something wrong but you sure can not have that aligned properly.

I had removed mine to inspect the crown. But some where along that trip I made some bone headed mistake on reinstalling.

Rifle was keyholing and not hitting anything at 25-50 yards. It was baffling me...known good rifle but I tied it to a Springfield mount and a red dot that I had installed and in that moment decided to inspect the crown.

The rifle was never the same, range trip after range trip, vertical stringing, obvious keyholing with hand loads and factory ammo (150gr FMJ). I couldn't figure it out for the life of me. I thought I just couldn't shoot that red dot to save my life so I went back to irons, no improvement.

So I pulled the FS again and inspected it when I saw at the 12 O'Clock position were tell tale brass marks. I squared the muzzle and reinstalled it, used a drill bit to check the alignment and it's good now. The #2 pencil was a little iffy and I used a drill bit instead that measured at .30XX

Lesson Learned...
Old 06-22-2022, 07:50 AM

Thankfully no damage to you or your rifle. Springfield Armory, Inc. sells a alignment tool used to check reinstallation of the flash hider. Welcome to the club, learning as you go. You would be surprised how many folks forget to loosen the castle nut screw before removing the castle nut.

Thanks for sharing your info.
Old 06-23-2022, 10:29 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to VinnAY

https://ibb.co/RY4StnG

Picture here