Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2022, 09:40 PM

Default Questions on mags and reloading

Iíve not shot my CMP Ithaca too much, just around 200 rounds. For my other guns , I keep a log of how many rounds Iíve shot and after a certain number of rounds , Iíll change recoil springs , or do various maintenance. As it came from the CMP , the pistol shot fine. I got a few Sarco USGi mags and was underwhelmed. I bought a Wilson Spring Kit and after changing the Recoil spring , started getting some FTFís.

Saw this video https://youtu.be/XlPx-xJC_ZY Where Bill Wilson and Ken Hackathorne discuss this exact problem because of weak magazine springs . Once the recoil spring is replaced , weak magazine springs canít feed the bullet fast enough.
Is it worth getting new springs and followers or just toss the Sarcoís and get some Wilson Combat mags?

In the same video I linked above they talk about the very specific dimensions of the bullet that the 1911/1911A1ís were designed for. What company today produces reloading .45 ACP projectiles that meet the original Ogive / OAL etc ? Is there a reloading bullet that works best for a non modern 1911A1?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-19-2022, 05:57 AM

Bought Wilson mags for my Kimber Ultra 3", and Gold Cup and I think they really aided to the pistols now running %100. Highly recommend. Can't speak to the ogive issue, but for my USGI pistols, I've never had an issue using any 200-230 gr ball heads. Ive used Berry's, Montana Gold, Hornady primarily. I would think running a throated barrel would greatly help with any FMJ-feed issues.

Last edited by 218bee; 06-19-2022 at 06:05 AM.
Old 06-19-2022, 10:39 AM

A standard 1911 or 1911A1 should feed ball ammo with no issues. If there is a problem it is most likely a mag issue. Have owned 7 or 9 1911A1's and none had issues with ball ammo. Mags varied from new to well used and they all worked. If you use other bullet shapes you can sometimes have problems feeding, but again some may be mag related. I exclusively shoot cast lead SWC bullets and have only had one mag give me a problem, even the GI mags the CMP sold worked. Problem area was the feed lips, GI mags release the bullet slightly further along the closing cycle and with a SWC shape jam the bullet nose against the top of the chamber. There are hybrid mags that have a different lip profile that release the base of the cartridge a bit sooner and prevent that type of jam.
Old 06-21-2022, 02:11 AM

Most 1911 reliability issues stem from mags. Try a different mag. The SARCO ones aren't terrible, I have many, but the springs could be stronger. Followers are all ok but nothing to write home about.
Old 06-23-2022, 07:07 AM

Thank you all for the insights. I will try some Wilson mags and order some projectiles .