Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2022, 09:09 PM

I live in Colorado and as I understand it the majority of magazine charges are "add on" charges meaning that some other charge came first and then the magazine was discovered to not be legal. As a side note many rural Sheriffs have said they will not enforce the magazine ban.
Old 10-03-2022, 12:55 AM

Speaking as a former Colorado resident, the Colorado magazine law allowed people to keep the 15+ round magazines they owned prior to the law taking effect. Since magazines don’t usually have a date of manufacture or serial number on them, it’s not easy for anyone to tell if a magazine is legal or not. In my experience, nobody paid any attention to what size magazine someone was using at a shooting range.

Last edited by RR17; 10-03-2022 at 10:36 PM.
Old 10-03-2022, 07:21 AM

bobco & RR17.......THANK YOU!!
Old 10-03-2022, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi View Post
I often wonder how liberal states enforce these magazine limits? Do the feds send undercover ATF agents to gun ranges and private gun clubs? I am just looking for an answer.
Speaking for CT, its usually an add-on charge when they bust down the door for something else. The law itself actually gives you a "Mulligan" if you have no prior firearms offenses.

Bill
Old 10-03-2022, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirWilliam View Post
Speaking for CT, its usually an add-on charge when they bust down the door for something else. The law itself actually gives you a "Mulligan" if you have no prior firearms offenses.

Bill
Yup . . . .
Just like the “one year in jail” MANDITORY sentence for carrying a handgun without a permit . . . .which has NEVER been enforced!!!

Gov. Bill O’Neal signed it into law back in the day!!

What good is having laws that NEVER GET ENFORCED???
Old 10-03-2022, 05:51 PM

For those who didn't read post #3 I'll repeat:
"The internet gun forum is a POOR place to get advice regarding BATFE type legal issues".

Why: Some advice is good, and even correct. Some is well meaning but incorrect. Some is simply bad advice. All comes from someone who filled out an e-form that is not verified to be allowed to post here.

As a bonus, I'll add this: Posts on the internet gun forum are often referred to under a different term: Evidence.

Extra points for answering this one: How many BATFE guys/gals are forum participants? How many LEOs?

All the BATFE guys/gals I know want to help keep shooting sports enthusiasts out of trouble, but none I know can ignore violations of the law.

Just saying :-)
Old 10-03-2022, 07:16 PM

Gentleman, Zvenoman is giving us all good advice. This is not the same country we lived in 20 years ago. Police officers often don't have the ability to make common sense decisions on the scene due to the plethora of cameras. About 7 years ago, in New Jersey, a young single mother made the mistake of carrying her registered handgun in her car over the bridge to NJ. When pulled over for a MV violation, she informed the trooper she had her pistol in the car. On camera. The trooper later said he had no choice but to arrest her. She was facing 3-5 years, mandatory, until the states' A.G. finally stepped in. Point being- the law is like headspace. Know it. Don't guess. Very bad things can, and do, happen.

Last edited by Whipped cream head; 10-03-2022 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-03-2022, 07:23 PM

Sad times. Reminiscent of old Gestapo and KGB tactics.
Old 10-03-2022, 09:43 PM

The other issue here and why I suggested the OP's Son contact the BASE JAG is NONE of you know the Bases rules/regulations.
The OP said he was transferring here with the AF:
-will he be living on base? Off?
-what are the Bases rules?
-Does the Son want to ignore those? When his job and career are on the line?

None of us know those details.......... so really it's up to the Son to figure this out, not us.
Old 10-04-2022, 06:13 AM

Those of you suggesting that the laws aren't enforced, can't be enforced, or only enforced as secondary crimes may want to consider:
1. What if someone takes your advice and as a result looses their freedom and/or rights to own firearms, how does that make you feel? (feel free to not answer; I don't want to know).
2. The next time you need "legal advice from the internet gun forum", which answers are "correct" and which are what the person thinks is OK?

We're not talking about bad advice on your 1942 Remchester bolt where the cost for a "mistake" is a part incorrect that you must now sell.

That "advice" has no business being posted here.