Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2022, 12:19 AM

Repro sling, mismatched wood. Someone wanted a Winchester awfully bad and had alot of money to waste.
Old 01-26-2022, 01:00 AM

So when something is bid up this high, I wonder how often the ďbuyerĒ backs out before money changes hands? Iíve seen crazy things like this in the past and wondered because some of the guns get re-listed
Old 01-26-2022, 01:40 AM

I see this sellerís ads a lot. As Jim said, they usually get more than average for their listings. Their pictures and descriptions are more thorough than most and they sell a lot of stuff.

The bidding history might be telling. Aside from the winning bidder, all of the more experienced bidders were out after the bid went past $2,100. At that point, it was a battle between the winner and two bidders with almost no transaction history. A quick scan through the sellerís feedback and I didnít see anything from the buyer. Chances are the transaction wasnít completed.
Old 01-26-2022, 04:39 AM

Someone hit a homerun on this one, I stopped my bids at 6K when I saw a snipped safety!! That was a deal breaker for me! LOL

No, the winner on that deal is the seller. That should not have gone past 3K. IMHO!
Old 01-26-2022, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR17 View Post
I see this sellerís ads a lot. As Jim said, they usually get more than average for their listings. Their pictures and descriptions are more thorough than most and they sell a lot of stuff.

The bidding history might be telling. Aside from the winning bidder, all of the more experienced bidders were out after the bid went past $2,100. At that point, it was a battle between the winner and two bidders with almost no transaction history. A quick scan through the sellerís feedback and I didnít see anything from the buyer. Chances are the transaction wasnít completed.
Run of the mill CMP Specials can sell for $2000 on GB. I donít think collectors are doing that. $7000 might not be this rifleís true value on GB but I do think itís substantially higher than $2100. Imagine getting the Garand bug last spring. If youíve only seen todayís prices on GB, what would constitute a decent value in your mind? Itís similar to buying into the stock market at $36,000. An experienced person might realize thatís overvalued but the stocks are still selling.
Old 01-26-2022, 06:59 AM

Looks like repo lock bars and a counter sunk barrel to clean up the muzzel and the stock looks non WRA among other things.
Old 01-26-2022, 07:21 AM

I just scratch my head looking at what is being paid on GB. I wonder what the name Winchester adds to my Mk2 Mod1 With most Winchester parts.
Old 01-26-2022, 11:20 AM

I don't think this will ever change:
"A Fool and his Money are soon parted"
Old 01-26-2022, 11:52 AM

Iíve sold on GB almost all of the Garands I was caretaker of. You see the reason why. I only regret not waiting until now. Congrats to the seller. Nothing unusual.
Old 01-26-2022, 12:09 PM

Default sling

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Apprentice View Post
It makes you wonder if they have shell bidders ?
Jim does this look like a repo sling ?
What a surprise! It might or might not be, but for some "obscure" reason, the markings, if any, and hooks which might establish whether it's vintage or not seem to be AVOIDED in the photo work.

One can make a presumption ( how unfair!!! ) that the lack of mention identifies it as a recent copy. But that doesn't establish lack of authenticity as empirical fact.

One suspects that, if it's a repro M1907 ( which is actually fine, if one really carries the rifle ) it might not be a particularly well-prepped one. But again, that's not prima facie, just a surmise.

Quite frankly, there's some evasion in that auction, but no blatant dishonesty. An alert, well-informed buyer would've bailed on that LONG before that price level. However, folks who are pursuing "brand names" are sometimes not entirely rational or particularly interested in facts/information. "Wishful thinking" on the other hand....

One factoid I know from my research: actual shill bidding on auction sites is pretty rare, and usually backfires on "he who dares". Not to say it doesn't exist, but a con man could wind up paying some pretty stiff auction fees or being booted off the site. GB doesn't police much of anything except when they don't get paid. About THAT they are absolutely brutal. They're also not much interested in explanations or inclined to explain their own actions.

Last edited by jimthompson502002; 01-26-2022 at 04:29 PM. Reason: detail