Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-28-2021, 12:56 AM
nunya80 nunya80 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 1,051
Default 1903a1 help

Does anyone have the measurements where a unertal scope mount lands on a 1903a1? Have a buddy who is building a replica from an old pawn shop sported rifle and is looking for the information. Or some good information/ web site from others that have done it. Found an original scope in another plan shop so the hard part was in hand already when he stumbled on a rifle that had already been cut up, but could be saved. Between our two stashes of parts we had everything he needs but a milled middle band, a good hand guard and the rear site collar ( old one was cut off). Should be a fun project.
__________________
my feedback:

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=192113
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-28-2021, 01:37 AM
AzMedic AzMedic is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,186
Default

A fellow member here has done one -- here is his thread: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=151665
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-28-2021, 01:45 AM
AzMedic AzMedic is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,186
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzMedic View Post
A fellow member here has done one -- here is his thread: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=151665
A link to a book about the m1903 machining process:

http://archive.org/details/cu3192401...p?view=theater
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-28-2021, 10:27 AM
ceresco ceresco is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 8,228
Default

If the receiver is already d&t, you can buy undrilled bases from Steve Earle and drill to match. Chances are fair that existing holes will be usable, but no rule here. IMO, using existing holes is far preferable to any other alternative. Hole size, (6-48 or 8-40) can be altered if needed. The bases generally cover any work you do on the receiver. Good Shooting. ...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-28-2021, 07:03 PM
nunya80 nunya80 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 1,051
Default

It’s drilled for a Lyman rear site. The barrel and receiver top is ok so he will need to drill a new set. Need to find a good smith also… thank you everyone for all the information. Much appreciated.
__________________
my feedback:

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=192113
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-28-2021, 07:23 PM
AzMedic AzMedic is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,186
Default

Could ask Chuck in Denver if he's taking on new work.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-29-2021, 05:48 PM
hebes405 hebes405 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Ohio
Posts: 996
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunya80 View Post
Does anyone have the measurements where a unertal scope mount lands on a 1903a1? Have a buddy who is building a replica from an old pawn shop sported rifle and is looking for the information. Or some good information/ web site from others that have done it. Found an original scope in another plan shop so the hard part was in hand already when he stumbled on a rifle that had already been cut up, but could be saved. Between our two stashes of parts we had everything he needs but a milled middle band, a good hand guard and the rear site collar ( old one was cut off). Should be a fun project.
I'm not exactly sure what you are asking.

Rear mount hole spacing is .860, front hole spacing is .560. The 2 mounts are 7.2" CTC
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-29-2021, 11:27 PM
nunya80 nunya80 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 1,051
Default

This… thank you…. That’s the second time I have seen that exact set of numbers. My guess is that’s the answer. I’ve had a few other answers and they were all over the map.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebes405 View Post
I'm not exactly sure what you are asking.

Rear mount hole spacing is .860, front hole spacing is .560. The 2 mounts are 7.2" CTC
__________________
my feedback:

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=192113
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-30-2021, 07:02 AM
ceresco ceresco is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 8,228
Default

All correct, but it doesn't tell you where to place the receiver holes. When you set the rear base on the receiver, it will be obvious. Good Shooting. ...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-30-2021, 07:28 AM
hebes405 hebes405 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Ohio
Posts: 996
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
All correct, but it doesn't tell you where to place the receiver holes. When you set the rear base on the receiver, it will be obvious. Good Shooting. ...
One thing to add to that. You will want your rear scope blocks in hand before you drill the holes because if you set the rear block to far forward, your mount may contact your sight collar. I believe mine is about .080 back from the rear sight collar. What I mean by that is there is an eighty thou gap between the rear sight collar and the scope block
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:14 PM.