Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2021, 12:06 PM

I appreciate the collective wisdom and experience that is being displayed here. When SGammo first had this 30.06 in stock I jumped on it. I was topping off my stock, so I can afford to not shoot this. Disposing of 400rds is a bit of a challenge for me, so I would like to pose a question. Is there less risk shooting this out of my 1903A3 or 1917 Eddystone? When this ammo first came into my hands I shot 40rds out of the 03A3, paying close attention to the cases and its overall performance, both of which appeared A-okay to me. I view all surplus arms and ammo as having some risk, which I accept. Again, doses the forum think I can I reduce my risk by sticking to bolt guns?

Thanks,
Bob
Old 11-25-2021, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teampb View Post
I appreciate the collective wisdom and experience that is being displayed here. When SGammo first had this 30.06 in stock I jumped on it. I was topping off my stock, so I can afford to not shoot this. Disposing of 400rds is a bit of a challenge for me, so I would like to pose a question. Is there less risk shooting this out of my 1903A3 or 1917 Eddystone? When this ammo first came into my hands I shot 40rds out of the 03A3, paying close attention to the cases and its overall performance, both of which appeared A-okay to me. I view all surplus arms and ammo as having some risk, which I accept. Again, doses the forum think I can I reduce my risk by sticking to bolt guns?

Thanks,
Bob
I believe the hole in the side of the receiver in the locking lug area is there to give the gas a place to vent if there was a head separation. The bolts also should have a hole in the bottom between the lugs for the same reason or if the primer gets punched by the firing pin.

My late Rock Island 1903 receiver has the hole on the right side kind of inline with a hole in the extractor. The extractor hole was to reduce the chance of it breaking because of head separation.

You should also invest in a ruptured case extractor in case you do have a head separation.

Old 11-25-2021, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkingtrax View Post
Definitely powder degradation, and subsequent case embrittlement. I understand the appeal of cheap ammunition, but I'd think twice about what I was investing my money in.
No..the brass was improperly annealed or not of correct quality etc.

Powder breaking down doesn't cause case failures like are being shown with the MKE brass. Its the brass age hardening due construction...material defect and age.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2136477496677483/M1 Garand Collector Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/654109364964194/ CMP Travel Games FB Group
Old 11-25-2021, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teampb View Post

Thanks,
Bob
If the brass is bad...it's bad... If you can see a defect obviously don't shoot it. You can always move the powder and projectiles into new brass and keep shooting.
Old 11-26-2021, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy2171 View Post
No..the brass was improperly annealed or not of correct quality etc.

Powder breaking down doesn't cause case failures like are being shown with the MKE brass. Its the brass age hardening due construction...material defect and age.
So age is a factor?

At the end of the day, this old ammo was surplused to the market for a reason. If the brass was bad when it was made, it won't get better with powder that loses its predictable burn rate.

Lots of kabooms with old questionable surplus ammunition. It won't be the last time.

Last edited by Roadkingtrax; 11-26-2021 at 02:08 AM.
Old 11-26-2021, 05:29 AM

Quote:
I understand the appeal of cheap ammunition, but I'd think twice about what I was investing my money in.
Yup!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-26-2021, 09:12 AM

Quote:
So age is a factor?

At the end of the day, this old ammo was surplused to the market for a reason. If the brass was bad when it was made, it won't get better with powder that loses its predictable burn rate.

Lots of kabooms with old questionable surplus ammunition. It won't be the last time.
It got surplused because CMP took all the 30-06 Garands from them...so they didn't need anymore M2 ball.

Powder gets weaker with age..not stronger.
Old 11-26-2021, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Yup!!!!!!!!!!
It will continue unfortunately.

Yet still we have people making unqualified statements on the safety of surplused ammunition that should be properly disposed of and removed from the market.