Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Talladega Marksmanship Park
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2021, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZvenoMan View Post
It wasn't in this thread until you brought it in.
If you are interested, search the forum and the google and you will find some information. The one I recall most recently wasn't a big deal, but it caused some pain, caused some changes, and everyone moved on.

JH
There may be some confusion with all the replies. I was not the one who brought conspiracy theory here. I'm the one who doubted it.
Old 11-25-2021, 08:44 AM

They do have a sign in the stores or did. "NO PHOTOS".

Yep Cancel Cultures has literally changed the face of everything they dont agree with.

At some point the CMP will have to tell us whats up with in person sales. I would think when you have nothing to set in racks, you dont keep the lights and heat/air on for no reason.

I know I got my FFL stuff taken care of while the Big Man was in Office in 2019. Was not going to get left in the dust like right now.

Smag~
Old 11-25-2021, 08:46 AM

I have posted my feelings more than once about the great benefit it was having Tom do what he did for all those years. There are many of us who for one reason or another could never make the trip to the South Store. People like me got the chance to read about what was in the store due to Tom’s reporting and got to be in the store vicariously through him.

I liken it to the process where you read a book and can imagine being in the story.

All I can say is Thanks Tom, your reports will be missed.
Old 11-25-2021, 10:21 AM

Guess what... the good old days of buying 8 rifles a year at surplus prices, having build parties to "correct them" and sell them for a large profit are over and WILL NEVER RETURN!!! Unless somebody bribes the Korean government to give send us their rifles there will be no further supply of 'non commercial' rifles appearing. The CMP will be lucky to be able to continue to sell rifles mail order never mind stocking store shelves.
Old 11-25-2021, 11:09 AM

Hi Fellow posters,

"WE" all acknowledge that PH68 was a un-payed pillar of the CMP South store.
He actually ENJOYED and went out of his way to helping us!
It stopped being fun for various reasons. As was Leon a long serving, VERY helpful but some times gruff CMP employee.
For better or worse the CMP will continue, I wish them well!

As for some of the anti gun (CMP) thoughts mentioned here.
Why would some thug wish to use a seven or eight pound bolt action rifle or a Garand in a crime?
They are ALL too big, too heavy and lack the firepower to fire 40 rounds in three seconds!! I don't think any thug will ever have a need or want to mount a bayonet on the rifle for his next drive by!
Someone will always have a problem with guns, leather shoes, meat, various sports, global warming, the color blue. Sadly the same people are the ones using our natural resources like there is no end to it. Lights ,TV, steros on 24 /7! & fans running in every room Their continuing need for govt. assistance because they do not to work & provide for them-self's & their family's. The people in power should not cave to the near do well's poor thinking.

broom
Old 11-25-2021, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adanac View Post
You're welcome to PM me with the articles you found. Moreover, I fully acknowledge that a mindless embrace of conspiracy theories has gripped half the country, but let's keep it out of the forum here, and let it stay on FB. I guess we can ask Tom if all the news stories (that I was unable to find) about people attacking the CMP is the reason he felt he shouldn't be posting in the forum that there are rifles in the TMP store. I think it unlikely.
Hey, guy... open your eyes. CMP sells military pistols to the public. Government surplus pistols. To any qualifying non-felon. That is very close to the fire. Also, surplus military M14 parts brought their own challenges as well, as far as CMP and perception is involved. The reality is that CMP walks a knife edge related to public perception. If you don't wish to acknowledge that, fine. There are enough examples of the pressures on CMP. But I will again say that CMP is likely alert to what you do not see. And quietness helps the CMP manage the risk.

Last edited by CFP; 11-25-2021 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-25-2021, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomhandle View Post
Hi Fellow posters,

"WE" all acknowledge that PH68 was a un-payed pillar of the CMP South store.
He actually ENJOYED and went out of his way to helping us!
It stopped being fun for various reasons. As was Leon a long serving, VERY helpful but some times gruff CMP employee.
For better or worse the CMP will continue, I wish them well!

As for some of the anti gun (CMP) thoughts mentioned here.
Why would some thug wish to use a seven or eight pound bolt action rifle or a Garand in a crime?
They are ALL too big, too heavy and lack the firepower to fire 40 rounds in three seconds!! I don't think any thug will ever have a need or want to mount a bayonet on the rifle for his next drive by!
Someone will always have a problem with guns, leather shoes, meat, various sports, global warming, the color blue. Sadly the same people are the ones using our natural resources like there is no end to it. Lights ,TV, steros on 24 /7! & fans running in every room Their continuing need for govt. assistance because they do not to work & provide for them-self's & their family's. The people in power should not cave to the near do well's poor thinking.

broom
Agreed. PH68's report were an important part of the CMP experience. And it was kind of Tom. And benefited us.

Also, agreed. It is illogical that a thug would use a Garand for crime. However, perception is key. And some voices use that perception in their anti-gun nonsense. CMP is forced to manage that perception, in our changing society. 1911s and M14s are closer to the advocacy fire. M1 Garands are easier to explain, I believe.

Sad our world is changing in this way, that those with traditional values related to marksmanship and hunting and sporting must behave so defensibly.

Last edited by CFP; 11-25-2021 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-26-2021, 09:38 AM

Bunch of guys I met at S store and seen over the years off and on. Remember some of the big Ammo sales, The Giant Rimfire Sale, Pallet/Lot sales. Sure wish those were more tailored to private purchasers and not the big Scrappers etc. Hind sight sure is 20-20.

So, if 1911a1's were not going to be selling going forward, what's left? Getting shelled with guys buying 8 rifles mail order last fall in a mad rush on CMP really had to stop process in its tracks. Questions like "holy crap. How many are already sold mail order, how many are on hand, how many in what grade have been inspected and graded, etc, etc".

Yep, Brave new world to be sure.

Thanks Tom. If you need anything else let me know.

Shawn~
Old 11-27-2021, 11:56 PM

Tom,

I want to personally thank you for all of your time and efforts put into your reports over the years. I personally witnessed your dedication getting to the store early in the morning to get a slot of time to get the inventory. Your dedication to the CMP community is greatly appreciated! Your store reports drove my visits, which greatly enhanced my collection over the years. Your store reports will be missed.

Old Yesterday, 09:37 PM

Your all kinda missing the point.

I liken it to the reports "causing a run on the bank".. Not everyone who goes to the stores (probably a small percentage) lurks this forum. It allows the forum members to poach the inventory and leave the picked over stuff for the rest.

It was particularly apparent with the North Store, but less so with the South Store and the West Store at TMP. But looking back at the reports, the times when not much was available outweigh the times when good stuff was there.

I am sure this put even more pressure on the armorers to get stuff to refill the stores.

Also by chasing off some who might otherwise come if the report is bad, im sure it hurts sales. "I Just drove 1200 Miles and there are no nice rifles, well I might as well buy one of these other rifles (like the expensive snipers) and other stuff since I am here.

And yes, the Army is getting sensitive about info from the CMP, but that is only a small part of it, but it makes a good cover story to feed people when its really just hard economical reasons to discourage reports.

Still I laugh when in this digital ages, various entities try and restrict the flow of information. If people see its getting cut off, they just go "Darkweb" with it and not post it on public forums. Im sure there are people that go to the stores to check inventory for others, they just dont post it on this forum.

Last edited by moose; Yesterday at 09:40 PM.