Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Matches - Camp Perry
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2021, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcj54 View Post
There is no real down time. As soon as you finish the morning event you get in line to squad for the afternoon. You need to pack a lunch and plenty of water.
You can expect to be on the range from 6 am until 4 or 5 pm if shooting am and pm.
Still fun though!
Well: with temperature and humidity, 8-10hrs, multiple trips back and forth, boat delays, biting insects, poison oak, occasional idiots amongst the tractor drivers, officials and competitors, I guess it it still fun..... My first trip there, I was out in the heat for hours before shooting. My scorer assured me I had a gold medal until I stood up for offhand The involuntary muscle contractions from dehydration took care of that. That year there were five relays, AM and PM. After the delay for the parachute drop, we were so late we missed supper. BTW-- If you shoot AM and PM, commercial row will be closed when you finish.... Good Shooting. ...
I
Old 06-12-2021, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcj54 View Post
There is no real down time. As soon as you finish the morning event you get in line to squad for the afternoon. You need to pack a lunch and plenty of water.
You can expect to be on the range from 6 am until 4 or 5 pm if shooting am and pm.
I have done both a number of times, it makes for a long day, but very enjoyable.
Worst year was 2014 when it rained steady all morning and finally stopped around 1:30 pm.
Everything was wet....They only stop a match for lightning and thunder, or if the wind is so strong it pulls the targets off the frames...
I have seen both..
Still fun though!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
Well: with temperature and humidity, 8-10hrs, multiple trips back and forth, boat delays, biting insects, poison oak, occasional idiots amongst the tractor drivers, officials and competitors, I guess it it still fun..... My first trip there, I was out in the heat for hours before shooting. My scorer assured me I had a gold medal until I stood up for offhand The involuntary muscle contractions from dehydration took care of that. That year there were five relays, AM and PM. After the delay for the parachute drop, we were so late we missed supper. BTW-- If you shoot AM and PM, commercial row will be closed when you finish.... Good Shooting. ...
I
Thank you both very much. I am reconsidering my schedule so that I can enjoy other aspects of the event, given the time I have available. Every month I leave the house ~6:45, drive 1 hour 40 minutes, shoot and pull targets, then drive home- sometimes in traffic that extends the drive to over 2 hours. I enjoy it, but doing it 2 days in a row and missing out on the rest of the experience at Perry might need some re-thinking. Shooting the 3 events that comprise the 3-gun aggregate might be a better balance.
Old 06-25-2021, 02:00 PM

Another newb question:

A couple other competitors are friends but I don't think we are all at the same range and time (Viale vs Rodriguez, AM vs PM etc.) so I will likely be shooting solo at any given time. How to keep my rifle and gear secure when leaving it to pull targets? Time to stow it in a vehicle before heading downrange? Or the converse- time to retrieve it if I end up pulling targets first?

If I am shooting one in the AM and one in the PM- do I have time between to stop by the vehicle to grab lunch and swap rifles?

A friend who has much experience at Perry said don't worry about it- bring everything for the entire day and leave it on the line, but it may have been years, maybe even a decade since he was last there. He did say be sure to protect from any weather. Advice much appreciated.
Old 06-25-2021, 04:03 PM

The answers are all no and your friend gave you good advice. This advice is not for everyone: say your friends are sheduled to shoot PM....if they show up with you at the end of AM squading and ask nicely; they may be allowed to shoot with you, if there is room........and there often is....Good Shooting. ...

Last edited by ceresco; 06-25-2021 at 04:06 PM.
Old 06-25-2021, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
Another newb question:

A couple other competitors are friends but I don't think we are all at the same range and time (Viale vs Rodriguez, AM vs PM etc.) so I will likely be shooting solo at any given time. How to keep my rifle and gear secure when leaving it to pull targets? Time to stow it in a vehicle before heading downrange? Or the converse- time to retrieve it if I end up pulling targets first?

If I am shooting one in the AM and one in the PM- do I have time between to stop by the vehicle to grab lunch and swap rifles?

A friend who has much experience at Perry said don't worry about it- bring everything for the entire day and leave it on the line, but it may have been years, maybe even a decade since he was last there. He did say be sure to protect from any weather. Advice much appreciated.
I just leave my gear on the line when I am in the pits. If there is any possibility of rain I cover it. Some days there is just zero chance of rain I let it go then.

You need to bring your lunch out with you. Zero time to do any of what you ask about. These matches move along and you need to play ready golf. Always be anticipating what's coming next and be ready.
Old 06-25-2021, 10:29 PM

Hello Fellow shooters,

We attended the Springfield Vintage match in Aug 2019. There was a announcement's during a afternoon match. Asking about a missing spotting scope & possibly a missing rifle too. We were too busy pulling targets to really hear what was going on.
I don't know if the items were stolen, the shooter forgot were the equipment was located or moved for the next relay. It is easy to get turned around with all the activity.
I know most shooters would take a VERY dim view of the thief.
We teamed up two fellows on the check in line, we watched their stuff & they did the same. We secured all our stuff on our wagons with a secured tarp
Since I'm originally from NYC . I chained the wheels of both wagons together. My pal thought it was over kill, but old habits die hard!
I see no need to make it easy for a thief.

broom
Old 07-29-2021, 07:37 PM

Default Equipment while in the pits

I load up my cart and park it on the assembly line. In my 8 years going up with 6 or so rifles, I don't know of anybody who "lost" equipment.
Old 07-30-2021, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgh garand guy View Post
I load up my cart and park it on the assembly line. In my 8 years going up with 6 or so rifles, I don't know of anybody who "lost" equipment.
Thanks, good to hear. I've always been spoiled by either a controlled access base or people I know keeping an eye on equipment, or both.
Old 08-01-2021, 06:36 PM

If you shoot in the afternoon, what time do you need to show up?
Old 08-04-2021, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.swider777 View Post
If you shoot in the afternoon, what time do you need to show up?
All I can tell you is a buddy of mine is shooting the PM Garand match this Friday.

His plan is to get there by 11 and be ready to shoot at noon.