Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2021, 10:28 AM

Default M1A Socom: Your thoughts

Considering getting a Springfield M1A Socom. Found them at a really good price but want to know thought of folks on here who own/have owned them. Worth it for less than $1500?
Old 08-01-2021, 12:40 PM

A lot of guys really love the things. I have a Socom II and it doesn't see the light of day very often. I enjoy the standard length barrel a bit more.
RVN 67-68
Old 08-01-2021, 01:38 PM

I have one--for now.....and a number of full length M1As. For me, the M14 is the standard rifle or a match version of same. I do have a scope on one, but I never wanted to make the 14 anything it isn't. So, no SOCOM for me. It is comforting to know that most of the fantasy variants can be easily brought back to reality. JMO. Good Shooting. ...
Old 08-01-2021, 01:56 PM

If I wanted a shorter barreled CQB platform I'd get one lighter, with smaller bullets. It would look a lot like a shorter barreled M16 with maybe some optical sight. I'd call it an "M4" or something.

Seriously, pay the full price and get the full barrel. The M14 is a good service rifle/battle rifle. There are also good CQB platforms. There are good precision rifle platforms. I don't want a 3 in 1 that does none great (and I prefer hoppes and oil over CLP)! I need excuses to buy 3, not 1.
But it's not like you "need" it......
Lifetime warranty, $1500 is not a bad price (and you should be able to sell pretty easy at that price should you want); what's the risk?

Just my thoughts....
JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 08-01-2021, 02:52 PM

The one I had wasn't as accurate as its longer barrelled siblings so I traded it off.
Old 08-01-2021, 03:21 PM

If one desires a shorter barrel, I would recommend the Scout over the SOCOM. However, as some have already mentioned the 22 barrel models are the best performers - due to their higher muzzle velocity and longer sight radius.
Old 08-01-2021, 06:41 PM

I liked the handiness of the one I had. But I traded it and kept a loaded. Just ordered a Bula Defense m21 today.
Old 08-01-2021, 10:24 PM

I own the Socom and in hindsight, the Scout Model is a better solution for a shorter M1A. However the Socom's brake does a superb job and my Socom is very easy to shoot as its recoil is tamed and muzzle rise near zero. Like some here, the fact is I shoot my standard M1A and the shorty Socom reside in the gun safe. I really like the Socom but I truly have no requirement for it. I did in Viet Nam but not today. In Viet Nam I day dreamed if I only could get a M14 and get the barrel length cut, it would be ideal and a far better solution than my XM16E1. However , as a Infantry grunt in 101st Airborne Division, they kept us in the bush and there was no way I could somehow manage to get a M14 and modify it. In fact todays SAI Scout in 243 Win would have been my choice for Viet Nam but such a pipe dream was not to be.

Last edited by milprileb; 08-02-2021 at 08:00 AM.
Old 08-04-2021, 01:44 PM

I bought the “tanker” when it came out, accuracy was horrible and I did some tweaking to it and it made zero difference. I recently had it rebarreled to the standard length and couldn’t be happier. If it were me, I would look at the scout or the full size.
Old 08-07-2021, 08:57 PM

Nope, not for me. Had one. It's gone after one range trip. I Have a GI style M14 Bula build and from about 10y ago, a Fulton NM build on a GI style M14 reciever. Was very disappointed in the socum build. I have an M1 carbine with a red dot and mini14 556 iron sights for the same job as the socum. Lot lighter, lot quicker to bring on target. Lot tamer. IMHO, just saying.

There's nothing like an M14 on a 22inch barrel. Luv both my Bula and older Fulton build.
Have Navy 308 Garand. Luv it.
Luv my granands.
no socum for me, it holds back the M14's potential.