Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2021, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobashadow View Post
Opened and inspected it, looks to be a old but acceptable wood the front handguard is very loose and some major road rash in front of the magazine area where it has been sat on a ridge or something behind cover etc and fired allot. The barrel is a 1949 and it has post war sights etc, so I'm guessing it's a post war rebuild by the look of everything else and the age of it.

Honestly by the dust and dirt on it etc it looks like it was pulled out of the crate and shipped without need for work.

If it was a service grade and expecting one (my original order was a Service grade that had to be switched) I'd be disappointed but a field grade that is from 43 with a 49 rebuild I'm good with it.

It looks like a well used but taken care of us much as you can expect a combat military used rifle to be.
What is the TE/ME?

Any pitting?
Old 10-23-2021, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSimonetti View Post
What is the TE/ME?

Any pitting?

None that I could find
Old 10-23-2021, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobashadow View Post

None that I could find
I find it crazy that These fg are arriving with no pitting , and a good portion of the last batch of sg had plenty of pitting, albeit with better barrel #s.

Just seems crazy or perhaps careless to me.
Old 10-23-2021, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtail View Post
I find it crazy that These fg are arriving with no pitting , and a good portion of the last batch of sg had plenty of pitting, albeit with better barrel #s.
What you said fits within CMP's description of both grades so why is it crazy or careless? Typically only the best or worst examples are posted in this forum so they are not average examples of what's actually being shipped out in a particular grade. Are you basing your statement on what's being posted in this forum or are you checking every rifle that CMP ships?
Old 10-23-2021, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtail View Post

It's neither. It's quite possible and rational for the CMP to grade a rifle FG that has zero pitting.

Perhaps the person grading this one felt that the ME of 3 was too close to the Field Grade line to take a chance. That's pretty reasonable if so, since they are now allowing for wider tolerances of measurements per the descriptions

So what if it's not really 3 but a 3.1 or 3.15? Would you like getting it as a Service Grade when it clearly does not meet the description? Maybe?... but I kind of thought not meeting the description was a pretty bad thing according to what I've been reading here.

Last edited by TSimonetti; 10-23-2021 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-23-2021, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsmg View Post
My one field grade shipped today. Will be arriving tomorrow. I stickied for 5 digit SA second choice any SA. Checked e store and its an Hra. Really stinks I haven't even seen the gun yet and I'm very disappointed. I can accept luck of the draw on condition any day but I have a real problem with luck of the draw on make. I know I can swap it or sell it pretty easy but its the principle. Hopefully it will grow on me when I see it tomorrow. Flaming begin.
So how did it turn out? I’m sure if it doesn’t suit you somebody on here would bite on a wanted to trade ad. Aside from the pita of shipping and all that at least you wouldn’t have to wait another 6 months.

Ironically I stickied for an H&R… we shall see.
Old 10-23-2021, 08:54 PM

Here is a link to pics of the 1943 I received. I'll post the 1940 later.

https://imgur.com/a/BEyWvPH
54 Engineer BN Germany
Old 10-24-2021, 01:49 AM

Here's a follow up to my post #84. First I have to say that I made that post right after learning the SN and make on the e store. Looking back it was probably too harsh. Picked the rifle up at the FedEx hub today. I did get that same kid in a candy store feeling while unboxing and checking all the parts out. Sn 5599045 very nice Hra FG. Barrel sa 2/65 tag says 2/2+ my cmp gauges read 1+/2+. Op rod 3sa, bolt 18sa, TG all sa. All parts look to be SA except for the receiver. Receiver also etched Red River army depot 8-65. Gi stock is unmarked except for black marker marking on Lt side "MANAOT MANIPIS". Think its safe to say it's definitely a PI return. Also some very light pitting on receiver below woodline, nothing major. Stock set is nice, no cracks hand guards are a bit darker in shade than stock but not too bad. I will be keeping it. It will have lots of brothers and sisters to hang out with. I still wish it was an SA but in the grand scheme of things its not a big deal. Any USGI Garand is grand.
Old 10-24-2021, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogarand View Post
Here is a link to pics of the 1943 I received. I'll post the 1940 later.

https://imgur.com/a/BEyWvPH
Check the barrel channel of the stock for a Julian date. I think I see a Harvester feature.
Old 10-24-2021, 08:07 AM

I suspect rifles are rated as service grade more for operating condition than cosmetic appearance. I personally prefer a pitted receiver with a new barrel over a nice looking receiver with a degraded barrel and worn parts.