Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2021, 07:52 AM

Default What type of sling?

Gents, does anyone know what type of sling this is? I acquired an all original Remington model 34 NRA target rifle that needs a sling. I found a couple of stock photos that show what I think is the correct sling. The only information I could find out about it is it was called " rare leather strap sling". Any help is highly appreciated! Rich

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2021, 10:58 AM

The sling swivels are unique. Don't see anything "rare" or uncommon about the leather sling.
Old 10-20-2021, 03:00 PM

The eye screws where the sling is attached to the forend were obviously designed fora carrying strap. A traditional sling as used for support in four position shooting would not properly attach to the eye.
Old 10-20-2021, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschel View Post
The eye screws where the sling is attached to the forend were obviously designed fora carrying strap. A traditional sling as used for support in four position shooting would not properly attach to the eye.
It seems that way. Strange for a target rifle. You would think It would be made for sling use. The information on these rifles seem scarce. 161000 made, I think 1% of those were NRA versions.
The pics aren't my rifle but mine is the same kind with the eyelets. I thought the sling was correct for the rifle.
It's a fun rifle to shoot! Sights are the correct Lyman 55R.

Old 10-20-2021, 08:06 PM

Those eyelets could be original; they look about like the ones on my model 30 Remington from that era.
Old 10-21-2021, 09:31 AM

It may be a rare or even correct sling, but the metal clasps on the keepers has always said "cheap" in my experience. I use sewn keepers as a litmus test. Good Shooting. ....
Old 10-21-2021, 09:51 AM

Back in the day, Winchester offered a carry sling that utilized those “sling eyes”. Probably other makes did too.
Myself, I’d rather have regular swivels so a M1907 type could be attached.
I agree with ceresco . . . .the staple in the keeper shouts “cheap/commercial” OUT LOUD!!
Old 10-21-2021, 03:35 PM

Default Sling

That is a Winchester sling and attaching loops. The eyelets are not. Those slip on attachments came in two sizes. To keep from falling off just pinch the arms together. The diamond staples do seem cheap
Old 10-23-2021, 07:22 AM

The rifle pictured is very similar to the Remington Sportmaster 341, which was made in the middle 1930's. Back then, most .22 rifles came without any kind of sling swivel attachments (or slings). It is likely that this rifle was later fitted with the eyelets and sling.
Old 10-24-2021, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyrifleman View Post
The rifle pictured is very similar to the Remington Sportmaster 341, which was made in the middle 1930's. Back then, most .22 rifles came without any kind of sling swivel attachments (or slings). It is likely that this rifle was later fitted with the eyelets and sling.
The 341 was the follow up to the model 34 series which ran from 32-35. I think the eyelets came on the rifle but were more for a carrying strap as opposed to a sling for accuracy. At least that's the impression I'm getting from the limited information I've been able to find. Rich