Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2021, 09:27 PM

Default M1922M2 - Front Sight Loose - Advice?

This rifle has been a great joy to own, clean, shoot, download references, read info and do a lot of smiling!

I thought it was odd that all of my groups while testing the M1922M2 were wider than they were tall. I've been around firearms for a long-long time, and this was a new thing. In previous work - groups tended to be quite circular. I figured that the L/R thing was just another "benefit" of getting older.

Well - appears there actually is a reason. While cleaning - I noticed that the front sight is loose L/R. Pic below shows the offset (look at the shadows and alignment mark).

My question is - does that screw under the sight blade act to tighten the dovetail? Does that screw typically come out "easily"? Any advice on how to tighten things up?

I have two sets of hollow-ground screw drivers for projects like this. NEITHER of them have a blade narrow enough to fit this screw slot - is there a specific size that works - or do some measuring and find one online?

Any thoughts appreciated!

Old 08-14-2021, 07:24 AM

No . . .the screw does not tighten the dovetail . . .
The end of it merely enters a divot in the base of the blade.
My advice to remedy your problem is to remove the screw (a ground down screwdriver works fine) drop a single lead pellet (#6 shot) in hole, and reinstall the screw.
Might need two pellets.
Old 08-14-2021, 08:19 AM

Well: you can simply grind down a cheap screwdriver to fit. Tightening the screw may reduce or stop movement, but a small lead shot will be more effective in doing so. The screw is usually flush with the front of the sight and is often staked so make sure that your screwdriver fits well.. Good Shooting. ..
Old 08-14-2021, 12:29 PM

Thanks Everyone. Could not find a #6 lead shot ball until just after I finished when my friend called back. I used a plug of solid core solder in the hole topped off with a #7.5 shot ball. Brought the end of the screw flush with the face of the sight, and nice-and-tight in the dovetail. Now to get back out and retest next week. Will take the small screwdriver I found with me to keep checking for tightness. The screw was not stuck in any way (thank-you very much).
Old 08-14-2021, 02:37 PM

Actually, there is a better and more permanent way than shot or solder - and US Army Ordnance developed the tool for it when the M1903 Series was Issue.

There is an actual Front Sight Tool that reforms/squeezes the dovetail back into tolerance. You can see it in Brophy's Springfield Book and the M1903 Springfield Technical Manual, and it solves your problem perfectly - and per Ordnance Procedure. Originally it came with a dovetail shaped gauge to prevent over tightening, but that is usually missing by now.

Someone near you probably has one, and could loan or rent it to you.
CC

Last edited by Col. Colt; 08-14-2021 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-14-2021, 04:19 PM

The Ordnance tool looks like this. It basically squeezes the dovetail slot. I do not have the dovetail gage. It is possible to over squeeze the slot without the gage.

If we were closer to each other we could meet up and you could use it. I am not interested in mailing it anywhere.
Old 08-14-2021, 06:27 PM

So interesting. I don't have the Brophy book, and am curious to how it works. Does it adjust the sight base or the removable portion of the sight? I'll see how the lead plug works next week, probably ask who has this tool near Kansas City after that, I'll offer up buying lunch as a trade!
Old 08-14-2021, 06:40 PM

It is used on the front sight base without a front sight installed.
Old 08-30-2021, 04:34 PM

Default pic

a picture is worth a 1000 words...
Old 09-29-2021, 09:35 AM

Shimming the slot would also work. For just. little bit of need, I use strips of aluminum foil, and maybe a very thin coat of (dried) rubber cement. Or, tinning the sight base with solder.