Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Auction
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2021, 02:50 PM

Default Is There Something Wrong With THis Auction?

https://cmpauction.thecmp.org/detail...de-HRA-5637346

Quote:
"This M1 Garand Correct Grade is manufactured by Harrington and Richardson. This rifle was not disassembled for photos for parts identification due to the amount of cosmoline on the rifle. All parts should be correct."
Since when does 'cosmoline' determine whether a rifle is 'correct' or not? Of course we know that the grease is not cosmoline but some type of auto/axle grease but that's another story for the auction folks.

I'm guessing the auction writers never heard of "Trust but verify" and chose to 'wing it on the description on this HRA rifle?'

Perhaps the auction folks were issued crystal balls to determine whether unseen parts covered with 'cosmoline' are correct? Where to buy one of them?

Old 08-12-2021, 03:05 PM

I'm sure I have told this story before, but before I was sent to Europe in 1993, I oiled and put 'rig' grease on all my firearms and left them with dad, he put them in gun cases under the spare bed. I ended up being in Europe for 7 years, when I got back and to the house, I pulled them out and the grease looked like dry grease - as if it was originally issued or stored during WW2 - obviously wasn't...
Old 08-12-2021, 03:15 PM

Location: Auburn, CA. in the Sierra-Nevada Foothills on the way to Reno
Default It stated shoud, not are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling Thunder View Post

Since when does 'cosmoline' determine whether a rifle is 'correct' or not? Of course we know that the grease is not cosmoline but some type of auto/axle grease but that's another story for the auction folks.

I'm guessing the auction writers never heard of "Trust but verify" and chose to 'wing it on the description on this HRA rifle?'

Perhaps the auction folks were issued crystal balls to determine whether unseen parts covered with 'cosmoline' are correct? Where to buy one of them?
You quoted CMP "It Should" but that does not are.
Old 08-12-2021, 05:55 PM

Certainly disconcerting wording. I image that an armorer (or someone else) took it apart to grade it. Once graded as “Correct” it went to auction, and the photographer did not take it back apart for photos because of the grease. If that is the case, it was determined to be correct, but you’ll have to trust that the person who did the grading didn’t miss something.
Old 08-12-2021, 07:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

This is one that could have used a data sheet when graded.....
Old 08-13-2021, 06:21 AM

“Sold as is” goop and all boys and girls.
Old 08-13-2021, 07:23 AM

Aren't data sheets made for all but "new" in wrap items?
Old 08-13-2021, 07:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogtripper View Post
Aren't data sheets made for all but "new" in wrap items?
I know data sheets do come on Collector Grades. I purchased a Collector Grade a few years ago that looked similar covered by the same grease, I assume part of the Greek returns. The data sheet was dated almost 10 years before I bought it.

In the case of the auction rifle, I think its a big assumption that it's a Correct Grade without either parts pics or a data sheet.
Interesting CYA in the auction description....
Quote:
All parts should be correct.

Last edited by Shomway; 08-13-2021 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Added auction description.....
Old 08-15-2021, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling Thunder View Post

Nobody is saying it is correct because of the cosmoline. They are saying, based on all outward appearances, that it should be correct, but because of all the cosmoline they did not disassemble it.

So if you are going to bid on it you should be aware that there is a possibility that it is NOT all correct and should bid accordingly.
Old 08-15-2021, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuze View Post
Nobody is saying it is correct because of the cosmoline. They are saying, based on all outward appearances, that it should be correct, but because of all the cosmoline they did not disassemble it.

So if you are going to bid on it you should be aware that there is a possibility that it is NOT all correct and should bid accordingly.
I don't think anyone in this thread is suggesting anything different, including RT. You may have misunderstood his post.

The question is why a rifle is on the auction advertised as correct, when it very well may not be due to no knowledge of what is below grease.

Unless a rifle is in wrap, there is really no reason to not at least do a field strip. Heck, you could keep the goop (it is not cosmoline in any event)
in a jar and smoosh it back on. It really adds zero value.

Last edited by Fogtripper; 08-15-2021 at 04:40 PM.