Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2020, 01:00 AM

I'm keeping my fingers crossed enough dems will come to good sense and back away from voting on it.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:27 AM

Default Virginia HB 0961

All this is a mute point. If you read the bill it specifically states that if a rifle is capable of holding a magazine of over 10 rounds it is an assault rifle. It doesn't matter what magazines you own the rifle is capable of over 10 rounds and therefore illegal.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:01 AM

That is definitely an inaccurate definition by the dems. I hope they end up scrapping the whole bill.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:33 AM

All this is a mute point. If you read the bill it specifically states that if a rifle is capable of holding a magazine of over 10 rounds it is an assault rifle. It doesn't matter what magazines you own the rifle is capable of over 10 rounds and therefore illegal.

That is not correct. The first revision does define that as an assault weapon but they are no longer illegal to own or possess. Can't sell them but can pass them down. Also, no registration required after the first revision so no real way to enforce anything.

The second revision eased up on the mag penalty.

The worst impact would be dealers could no longer sell them after July 1. That would create a serious rush to buy before then and really hurt the dealers after that.

The Senate is not behind the ban so it will likely get watered down even more or die in committee.

Let us pray!

Rich
Old 02-11-2020, 09:19 AM

YahooMarine, you have the up to date skinny so far. That news was what got me thinkin about the 10 rd magazines. I think, even in California they did some kind of repeal on the high capacity mags. These guys are turning their nose up tothe US, & VA Constitution. I swear I thought I read somewhere that if the govt made something illegal, that was bought legal, they had to compensate you for it. Not that that would entice anyone to give up their mags. Also, Thanks for the heads up on the Pro Mags Shomway
Old 02-11-2020, 09:47 AM

YahooMarine, you have the up to date skinny so far.

I am a member of three state level pro 2nd amendment groups and all three have boots on the ground at the capitol. Each sends out an update after a legislative session. The groups are the VSSA, Virginia Citizens Defense League, and the Cavalier Rifle and Pistol Club.

Missing from the mix on reporting much is the NRA. That surprises me as they are HQ'd in Northern VA.

All of this gun control agenda is bad for the second amendment. None of it is acceptable. I am still hoping that the more conservative Senate will put an end to all of the 'assault weapons' and mag bans. If not today, by the end of the session in March.

Rich
Old 02-11-2020, 09:51 AM

I have looked at some other states laws that have enacted bans, & most make allowances for collector firearms, but I havn't seen anything to that effect in the proposed Va ban.

The curios and relics portion of the VA code will be gutted under the porposed 'assault weapons' legislation. Un-amended that would have protected our carbines but it is re-written to pretty much exclude anything that goes bang even if it is 75 years old.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:54 AM

I'm a NRA member, & just sent a check to the VCDL. Yea, it seems to me like the Va Citizens Defense League has a lot more grit than the NRA over all of this.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:07 PM

Ugh. Version 2 passed the house and is on the way to the Senate.
Hopefully the more conservative Senate will water it down or kill it.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:24 PM

Yea, I was hopin they would still be "indecisive" again & scrape the thing. But, the thing didn't pass but by 4 votes I think, & Repubs are big time outnumbered in the House. With only about a 4 member advantage in the Senate, it won't take many turn coat dems to vote it down, & the senate hasn't got another version of the bill, & that would kill it, for this year anyway. Today being cross over day, & another bill can't be drawn up in the House. Every one keep your fingers crossed. Hopefully I won't need any 10 rd mags, LOL.